• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Write/email your MP asking them to support EDM 1239

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

met my tory mp (Paul Scully) at an event at the local mosque for our Big Iftar event for ramadhan ... he said he never signs EDM but would take a look at the issue after I gave him a bit of a hard time

Comment

Please continue to do this
      MPs are engaging and understanding the story behind this charge

If you get no response - please arrange to see them at their surgery

The MP for Bath has published this on her blog
      https://www.werahobhouse.co.uk/wera_...19_loan_charge

Take the time to thank her.

Comment

EDM now at 62

62 MPs have now signed the EDM that's nearly 10% of all MPs.

At what point will something kick-off

This includes 13 members of the Conservative Party who blindly walked through the Aye door when this was voted in.
        I wonder how many of them actually sat down and read the detail of the act they were voting for?

Still waiting for my MP to reply

SNP Alison Thewliss decided to sign then withdraw for some reason

Maybe a lot of MPs are too busy deciding if they should sign more important EDMs like
        RENFREW FC PROMOTION TO PREMIER DIVISION
        AUCHINLECK TALBOT'S 12TH JUNIOR CUP FINAL SUCCESS
        COLERAINE FC CUP SUCCESS
        BRITISH PIPE BAND CHAMPIONSHIPS IN PAISLEY
        POST OFFICE COUNTER SERVICE IN MEMBERS' LOBBY

Comment

Originally posted by demby View Post
          62 MPs have now signed the EDM that's nearly 10% of all MPs.

At what point will something kick-off

This includes 13 members of the Conservative Party who blindly walked through the Aye door when this was voted in.
          I wonder how many of them actually sat down and read the detail of the act they were voting for?

Still waiting for my MP to reply

SNP Alison Thewliss decided to sign then withdraw for some reason

Maybe a lot of MPs are too busy deciding if they should sign more important EDMs like
          RENFREW FC PROMOTION TO PREMIER DIVISION
          AUCHINLECK TALBOT'S 12TH JUNIOR CUP FINAL SUCCESS
          COLERAINE FC CUP SUCCESS
          BRITISH PIPE BAND CHAMPIONSHIPS IN PAISLEY
          POST OFFICE COUNTER SERVICE IN MEMBERS' LOBBY
          My MP supports the cause but said he didn't believe EDMs led to anything. You have correctly observed thousands of these motions are on the parliament website and many have significantly more support than this one. There are also motions with MPs supporting them, which I would struggle to see how they could possibly influence!
          As long as your MP is supportive and puts pressure on the treasury and minister, that is the right result. If enough of them talk to each other, they could even affect the legislation.

Comment

Please continue to illustrate the inequities and unsoundness of this charge to your MP, in person if you are being fobbed off via email etc.
            Even if they have already signed
            There must be a reckoning and the legislation needs revisiting.

Comment

My MP wrote to Mel Stride ( and texted\) but just got the standard response as others have.

Now he is writing to the Head of HMRC whoever that is...and , depending on the response, he says, he may ask for a change in the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Calmbeforethestorm View Post
                My MP wrote to Mel Stride ( and texted\) but just got the standard response as others have.

Now he is writing to the Head of HMRC whoever that is...and , depending on the response, he says, he may ask for a change in the law.
                "he may ask"

Comment

Calm before the storm? Is it possible to visit your MP, may be even with friends/family other LC victims to discuss how this has impacted you? Putting a face to a name will help them immensely to begin seeing the human cost of this legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by MayMadness View Post
                    Calm before the storm? Is it possible to visit your MP, may be even with friends/family other LC victims to discuss how this has impacted you? Putting a face to a name will help them immensely to begin seeing the human cost of this legislation.

I have been to see him,the last Saturday in May....you only get 15 minutes but he was very sympathetic and recognises the unfairness. His secretary/assistant has been very helpful as well....hence the second letter to the Head of HMRC...

My case is not typical of those on this forum as Im not a contractor and haven't used a DR scheme in the last 13 years...

Im caught because they can go back to 2005 ( and further) .

My MP is a government whip , so not without influence,,,, its a case of getting him to use it so slowly does it.

Ill keep you posted when I get a response .

Comment

It continues to be important to do this and thanks to all that have
                      If you are in the Maidenhead constituency please arrange a surgery meeting with TM and advise the LCAG that you have or are doing so

Comment

Working...
                      X