• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trust help line email help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THL Email and Garraway

Well, i have been receiving THL emails for a number of months now and till a couple of days I have been neglecting them. It just caught my eye two days ago when the email mentioned my DOB and also mentioned the Trust (Garraway) that I was dealing with back in 2012. So before reading threads on this forum, I hastily registered by providing ID and now as everybody has mentioned they have sent me a reply to contact another organisation - DOR Resolutions Limited ([email protected]) and ask them for a "settlement" quote which is 5% of the loan amount + £250.

The letter also states this -

Who is DOR Resolutions Limited?
    DOR Resolutions Limited is an Isle of Man
    company run by representatives of Baker Tilly, an
    international accounting network. The same
    representatives also control many of the trusts
    that have instructed us to act for them in reaching
    out to you.
    DOR Resolutions Limited will be responsible for
    managing your request for the deeds. They will
    provide you with the drafts for your review and
    signature, accept your payment and arrange for
    the deeds to be signed and returned to you. They
    will also keep us updated.

By the way, I have setteled with HMRC in 2013, all clear on that front. HMRC did not ask for any settlement deed back then nor they mentioned they wanted one in the future nor did HMRC mention about "IHT" attached to the loan.

Looking at some of the responses on this thread, I am going to stay put and not respond any further.
    Last edited by contractDudeUK; 7 February 2019, 15:25.

Comment

Good move. A quick check at IOM companies registry shows that DOR is structured in such a way that it doesn't publicly name its directors.

Comment

Originally posted by piebaps View Post
        Good move. A quick check at IOM companies registry shows that DOR is structured in such a way that it doesn't publicly name its directors.

Scammers! .. .

Bit worried now that they have more info and this does not turn into ID fraud etc etc ... will have to keep an eye out.

Unsure if any action (or at least reported) has been taken against these cowboys?

Comment

They also text me yesterday.

Just to reiterate, when I rang HMRC the other day, they literally said I did not have to have deeds released. They said. I 'probably didn't sign anything' about repaying the loans to them but they will just be surmising.

100% they don't care if the loans are 'settled' or not though.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggysoft View Post
            They also text me yesterday.

Just to reiterate, when I rang HMRC the other day, they literally said I did not have to have deeds released. They said. I 'probably didn't sign anything' about repaying the loans to them but they will just be surmising.

100% they don't care if the loans are 'settled' or not though.
            It is true they don't care if settled. Until they get settled and they want IHT.

Always record conversations with HMRC. And they can resile on phone calls. There again, they can resile on paper documents. And laws even.

Comment

Originally posted by contractDudeUK View Post
              Well, i have been receiving THL emails for a number of months now and till a couple of days I have been neglecting them. It just caught my eye two days ago when the email mentioned my DOB and also mentioned the Trust (Garraway) that I was dealing with back in 2012. So before reading threads on this forum, I hastily registered by providing ID and now as everybody has mentioned they have sent me a reply to contact another organisation - DOR Resolutions Limited ([email protected]) and ask them for a "settlement" quote which is 5% of the loan amount + £250.....
              Under Data Protection rules, you can ask them to destroy all and any information and data they hold about you personally, including the ID docs you sent them.

Comment

So I bought the deeds...

You're probably all going to think I'm mad but I've taken the plunge and paid for my loans to be written off.

So basically, here's my story. When the Loan Charge was announced, it seemed pretty obvious I was going to be caught up in it. I dawdled a bit but in about August or September 2018 I decided to register with HMRC to settle. This required knowing how much I'd had, which I wasn't sure about, so I contacted the trustees (Baker Tilly accountants). I was told I had to speak to Trust Help Line to get a statement. I tried emailing them twice but got no reply. So I did my best to remember my income tax position from years ago in relation to the scheme, and in September, registered with HMRC to settle. I heard nothing from HMRC either. I chased. Heard nothing. Chased a third time. Still heard nothing. Just autoreplies. Hmm, I thought, this isn't going so well.

In December 2018 I heard from Trust Help Line with their generic comms. When I clicked the link in their email, they wanted proof of ID before I could get my statement. This was a bit of an uneasy feeling but with GDPR it seemed fair enough so I pressed on. They had my statement as promised and it was similar to what I remembered. Just some overtime I'd forgotten about and I got the date of a rate change wrong. Now, it turns out that I can get 95% of the loans written off in exchange for a repayment of 5% plus a £250 fee. The way I see it, getting 95% written off now is a good deal compared to what might happen. What if at some point down the road these guys decide they want *all* the money? I mean, it's clearly possible. Burying my head in the sand has never worked well before so I'm not going to do it this time. You might say they couldn't win a court case over it but I'm not so sure and frankly don't want to be in a place where I have to defend one.

So, I sent the email that others on here have mentioned and asked for my deeds. Got them back via email pretty quick. Checked them over, printed them and sent them back a couple of weeks ago. I chased to see if they arrived and apparently they did, eventually. So, over the weekend just gone I sent the money.

I've not got my signed deeds back yet - I know, I know! - but I shall report back here if and when I do.

Also, just for interest, still not heard a peep from HMRC about settling.

DB.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozy Bastard View Post

Also, just for interest, still not heard a peep from HMRC about settling.

DB.
                  Writing off the loan is a taxable event.

You are now liable to tax on that 95%.

That will count as 2018/19 income.

This fact is mentioned by THL in their flyers.

The tax due in 2018/19 because of the write off (section 554C ITEPA 2003) may - or may not - be a credit against tax due on the settlement which is for earlier years than 2018/19.

I confess to having studied this a while and I'm still not clear that 554C tax paid will be a credit against those earlier years.

I will try to finish my studies and post my conclusions soon, but by paying this tax, you may have rendered settlement pointless.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

THL Email and Garraway

Well ... the harassment continues ..i just received this email from THL ... Basically they now want 10% instead of 5.

We've previously written to you with an offer from your trustees to write off 95% of your loans.

Most of those who received the offer have taken it up. One consequence of this is that there are now fewer people with loans outstanding. The trustees took a decision yesterday that, in order for the trusts to remain viable, the amounts written off would have to reduce from 95% to 90%. This means that for those who still have outstanding loans, the amount that needs to be repaid will increase from 5% to 10%.

As at yesterday, you were one of those who were yet to respond and are therefore affected by the decision. If you sent in your request for the deeds today, don't worry - you'll still get 95% written off.

The change will take effect for deeds prepared after 1st March 2019. That means that even if you've not yet sent in your request, provided you act now, you can still take full advantage of the opportunity to have 95% of your loans written off.

If you want to be included, please make sure you've read the offer document attached, then send an email (or forward this one) to [email protected], quoting reference XXXXXXXXXX. DOR Resolutions Limited is an Isle of Man company run by representatives of Baker Tilly, an international accounting firm. They will manage your request for the deeds.

DOR Resolutions is very busy with requests due to the pressure HMRC has placed on taxpayers to settle. If you act now, not only will you benefit from the best terms, but you will have the best chance that your deeds will be returned promptly.

Yours sincerely,
                    Trust Help Line

Any thoughts/suggestions on how to respond? I definitely do not want to pay these scammers!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmac View Post
                      Under Data Protection rules, you can ask them to destroy all and any information and data they hold about you personally, including the ID docs you sent them.
                      Thanks Dmac. I am going to try that.

Comment

Working...
                      X