• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trust help line email help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First post - HMRC Contractor Loans teams incompetent

This is my first post on this forum (so I hope I'm not breaking any rules) but I've been an avid reader ever since I received a self-assessment notice regarding my period at Garraway Ltd a few years ago (I worked only 2-months / some £5000 as a summer extension to my placement year at university -- and I've been paying my dues countless hours on the phone ever since!!!)

I read this article published by HMRC sometime last week: Disguised remuneration: contractor loans settlements and obtaining a deed of release (Spotlight 48) - GOV.UK

First off -- it's quite clear that if you are currently in the settlement process HMRC will not "reduce the amount of earnings or income to be included in the settlement."

Second-- and rather frustrating to me, is that, although the 'deed of release' is not required to settle with the HMRC, HMRC does not deter you from getting one -- in fact it appears it is encouraging it through its use of language ... the current settlement process on the Inheritance Tax matter says:

"‘I wish to have IHT included in the settlement on the basis of the loans being written off or released within 30 days of a settlement being agreed. No further evidence will be required by HMRC of this. If the loans are not written off or released within 30 days of a settlement being agreed, I will contact HMRC so that the IHT position can be reviewed."

I've been trying to engage the Trust Helpline Ltd company in the IOM. Knowing that I am very likely dealing with relentless loan sharks who are out to get my money, but due to how little my liabilities are at the moment, to get this monkey off my back, I'd have liked to have had a bottomline £-amount from dorresolutions or THL to release me from the trust and write off my loans. Even though I may not end up paying it.

I contacted IHT helpline today and after spending 50-minutes going back and forth to a number of their departments, someone with a lazy funeral home voice called me back and asked me for my 'trust name'. I could only give them the name of the accountant as I did not know what the trust name was (Baker Tilly IOM) ... but they have absolutely ZERO idea about the Disguised Remuneration spotlight-48 malarky. They were unable to help me. This is after an advisor in the Contractor Loans team suggested I call IHT helpline to discuss any taxes due upon a write-off. They seemed quite confident that IHT would have it's sh*t in order.

Moving on -- In the same article linked above, it says:

"You’ll need to make sure the debt is legally released and it’s still possible that trustees or other people could require deeds. However, there is no requirement for HMRC to see such a deed when we conclude a settlement."

HMRC contractor loans advisors, just days before this article came out, told me point blank 'HMRC is advising that we do not engage THL or the likes offering further schemes to reduce your liability'. I was quite happy to hear that, and told them to note the advice they gave me. As I would quite happily just like to deal with HMRC and one day blame Her Majesty's civil servants for advising me not to engage THL (I know that's naive, but still).

Then I read that the article says I need to engage the trust owners and that it's up to me to chase this 'debt' off. And that 'other people' could require the deed of release. What other people? Baker Tilly? Uncle Moe? The mafia?

Essentially, MPs who voted this in had absolutely ZERO oversight as to the wider impact it would have on 50,000 or so contractors. How can they, on the one hand, recognise the loans as income, and on the other, call it a debt and have absolutely no concessions for the extortionate 'fees' THL are demanding in exchange to write off these so called loans.

Later that day I read this article: HMRC insists tax crackdown 'unchanged' despite MPs' action - FTAdviser.com - Sir Ed Davey, a lib-dem MP, tabled a motion to have the loans reviewed. I emailed my own MP and cheekishly CC'd the cl.resolutions email, outlining how corrupt the HMRC is to demand repayment on the full loan amount as though it is income, and completely disregard the wider implication this might have on those who wish to politely settle.

Spotlight 48, in my view was insufficient (aside from being legally dubious); it should have been broader. It should not have only singled out the tax payer, but should have impacted the provider of these schemes and the trust funds involved -- and enforced further laws that protect settlors from loan sharks demanding to be paid at the threat of recalling / adding interest! Written these loans off by default or voided the trusts somehow (I don't know).

I understand that those who do not wish to engage THL are probably going to be just fine (right ). But I simply cannot trust the state. I cannot trust HMRC with the amount of incompetence it has displayed over some 20-hours of phone calls and exchanges in the last four years I have tried to settle with them, to be there when Baker Tilly decides to recall my loans or at the rare chance, try me in court, or turn up at my deathbed and issue me a massive bill. The loans, I've learned, are a separate battle to which the HMRC is turning a blind eye. They don't care what happens after we settle.

PS -- anyone else written to their MP?

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      Dozy Bastard has requested their account be deleted from the site so I have now done this. I was not offered the chance to listen to the recording of the phone call to confirm its existence.
      Quelle surprise...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Please remember that the people behind THL promised you:
        • Loans that would never be recalled.
        • HMRC compliance backed by Barrsiter opinion.
        • That the 15% charged was for the ongoing administration of the trust.

When letters started hitting doormats a few years ago they told you that the HMRC position was untenable and that you should move to their latest scheme.

THL are cowboys and they are leveraging the stress that you feel at the moment to try and con more money out of you. It is so blatant that HMRC have seen fit to Spotlight it.

Ignore them.

Comment

So this guy makes his first post and it's pretty much a re-run of Dozy-Bastard's emails, who's just disappeared.

Jeez THL really are desperate.

If you want to settle, provide the numbers to HMRC and get an accountant. If you're worried about Baker Tilly, contact the IoM reguator.

Whtever you do, ignore THL - they're the same tw@s who sold you the scheme in the first place.

Originally posted by jxtractor View Post
          This is my first post on this forum (so I hope I'm not breaking any rules) but I've been an avid reader ever since I received a self-assessment notice regarding my period at Garraway Ltd a few years ago (I worked only 2-months / some £5000 as a summer extension to my placement year at university -- and I've been paying my dues countless hours on the phone ever since!!!)

I read this article published by HMRC sometime last week: Disguised remuneration: contractor loans settlements and obtaining a deed of release (Spotlight 48) - GOV.UK

First off -- it's quite clear that if you are currently in the settlement process HMRC will not "reduce the amount of earnings or income to be included in the settlement."

Second-- and rather frustrating to me, is that, although the 'deed of release' is not required to settle with the HMRC, HMRC does not deter you from getting one -- in fact it appears it is encouraging it through its use of language ... the current settlement process on the Inheritance Tax matter says:

"‘I wish to have IHT included in the settlement on the basis of the loans being written off or released within 30 days of a settlement being agreed. No further evidence will be required by HMRC of this. If the loans are not written off or released within 30 days of a settlement being agreed, I will contact HMRC so that the IHT position can be reviewed."

I've been trying to engage the Trust Helpline Ltd company in the IOM. Knowing that I am very likely dealing with relentless loan sharks who are out to get my money, but due to how little my liabilities are at the moment, to get this monkey off my back, I'd have liked to have had a bottomline £-amount from dorresolutions or THL to release me from the trust and write off my loans. Even though I may not end up paying it.

I contacted IHT helpline today and after spending 50-minutes going back and forth to a number of their departments, someone with a lazy funeral home voice called me back and asked me for my 'trust name'. I could only give them the name of the accountant as I did not know what the trust name was (Baker Tilly IOM) ... but they have absolutely ZERO idea about the Disguised Remuneration spotlight-48 malarky. They were unable to help me. This is after an advisor in the Contractor Loans team suggested I call IHT helpline to discuss any taxes due upon a write-off. They seemed quite confident that IHT would have it's sh*t in order.

Moving on -- In the same article linked above, it says:

"You’ll need to make sure the debt is legally released and it’s still possible that trustees or other people could require deeds. However, there is no requirement for HMRC to see such a deed when we conclude a settlement."

HMRC contractor loans advisors, just days before this article came out, told me point blank 'HMRC is advising that we do not engage THL or the likes offering further schemes to reduce your liability'. I was quite happy to hear that, and told them to note the advice they gave me. As I would quite happily just like to deal with HMRC and one day blame Her Majesty's civil servants for advising me not to engage THL (I know that's naive, but still).

Then I read that the article says I need to engage the trust owners and that it's up to me to chase this 'debt' off. And that 'other people' could require the deed of release. What other people? Baker Tilly? Uncle Moe? The mafia?

Essentially, MPs who voted this in had absolutely ZERO oversight as to the wider impact it would have on 50,000 or so contractors. How can they, on the one hand, recognise the loans as income, and on the other, call it a debt and have absolutely no concessions for the extortionate 'fees' THL are demanding in exchange to write off these so called loans.

Later that day I read this article: HMRC insists tax crackdown 'unchanged' despite MPs' action - FTAdviser.com - Sir Ed Davey, a lib-dem MP, tabled a motion to have the loans reviewed. I emailed my own MP and cheekishly CC'd the cl.resolutions email, outlining how corrupt the HMRC is to demand repayment on the full loan amount as though it is income, and completely disregard the wider implication this might have on those who wish to politely settle.

Spotlight 48, in my view was insufficient (aside from being legally dubious); it should have been broader. It should not have only singled out the tax payer, but should have impacted the provider of these schemes and the trust funds involved -- and enforced further laws that protect settlors from loan sharks demanding to be paid at the threat of recalling / adding interest! Written these loans off by default or voided the trusts somehow (I don't know).

I understand that those who do not wish to engage THL are probably going to be just fine (right ). But I simply cannot trust the state. I cannot trust HMRC with the amount of incompetence it has displayed over some 20-hours of phone calls and exchanges in the last four years I have tried to settle with them, to be there when Baker Tilly decides to recall my loans or at the rare chance, try me in court, or turn up at my deathbed and issue me a massive bill. The loans, I've learned, are a separate battle to which the HMRC is turning a blind eye. They don't care what happens after we settle.

PS -- anyone else written to their MP?
          Last edited by jbryce; 20 February 2019, 19:08. Reason: spelling.

Comment

I’ll be keeping an eye on jxtractor as well...

In the meantime, let’s just remind ourselves of Spotlight 48 shall we?

Disguised remuneration: contractor loans settlements and obtaining a deed of release (Spotlight 48) - GOV.UK
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
              So this guy makes his first post and it's pretty much a re-run of Dozy-Bastard's emails, who's just disappeared.

Jeez THL really are desperate.

If you want to settle, provide the numbers to HMRC and get an accountant. If you're worried about Baker Tilly, contact the IoM reguator.

Whtever you do, ignore THL - they're the same tw@s who sold you the scheme in the first place.

What? Who? What's with the KGB vibes? Are you insinuating that I'm a THL mole? Mate!

I'm trying to examine my options here as the size of my liabilities is small (as mentioned, I worked for Garraway for only 2-months on a junior salary). Too small in fact (sorry not gloating), to make it worth the money to get legal advice in my position.

Garraway (and others) / Baker Tilly / THL are deplorable and I hope they all rot in hell ... but the point of my first post was to highlight the cheek of HMRC when they remind us (in the article I've linked) that these are still, in the eyes of trust-tax laws, still considered loans, and as such, need to be 'written off' within 30-days of settling! Furthermore, their ambiguous use of the phrase 'other people' to distance themselves from any implications the loans may have on settlers in the future.

Heebee jeebee: "You’ll need to make sure the debt is legally released and it’s still possible that trustees or other people could require deeds" - Spotlight 48
              Last edited by jxtractor; 21 February 2019, 00:28.

Comment

HMRC has done what it can within the terms it has.

They tell me that THL's interpretation of Spotlight 48 is wrong and they are considering further clarification.

HMRC deals with TAX.

They can say that an amount is taxable, income tax, CT, IHT etc. You don't have to agree with them on that and if not, then the settlement is voluntary - just step away - and there is a process to agree the final value - probably in this instance via a Tribunal.

They cannot interfere in legal terms you have agreed with a third party.

They have no power to stop a third party trading.

Firms like THL are not required to be regulated or join any body that does that. Anybody can open a shop and put up a sign saying "tax adviser" or "accountant" and aside from perhaps your local Council Trading Standards office (who struggle with service offerings) can happily operate.

HMRC has made clear that it views THL's activities in a poor light. I'm not sure what else that could do?

Those instructing THL are subject to a number of rules and regulation. Look at the website and they are mentioned. Most of those have some form of enforcement process, even if they are deliberately (in my opinion) slow and difficult.
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by jxtractor View Post
                  I understand that those who do not wish to engage THL are probably going to be just fine (right ).
                  Those who engage THL are going to make things worse for themselves. The only 2 people recommended are Graham and Phil.

Comment

For the avoidance of doubt.

A loan written off prior to settlement is taxable. The taxable amount is the amount written off.

In the THL suggested scenario, the 5%/10% paid is not clearly and obviously applied to loan repayment. There is no evidence that DOR collect the money and use it to repay the loan held by the trust.

I would expect, unless evidence can be produced, that HMRC will argue that 100% of the loan has been written off. Therefore 100% is in charge to tax.

If you have the loan written off and SETTLE (strictly by 5th April), then the loan charge can apply. The value of the loans upon which the loan charge is based should be reduced by the value brought into the write off charge.

In due course the tax position for the earlier years will need to be agreed. There is a set off mechanism that - with some good will - will use the loan charge paid against the earlier years.

I'm less clear that a write off charge will be treated that way. I'm trying to find out.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

As the 1st/15th March is quickly approaching, has anyone paid or considering paying for these Deeds?
                      If anyone has paid, what do the deeds state.?

Comment

Working...
                      X