• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trust help line email help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thinking too much for such a small charge

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    HMRC has done what it can within the terms it has.

They tell me that THL's interpretation of Spotlight 48 is wrong and they are considering further clarification.

HMRC deals with TAX.

They can say that an amount is taxable, income tax, CT, IHT etc. You don't have to agree with them on that and if not, then the settlement is voluntary - just step away - and there is a process to agree the final value - probably in this instance via a Tribunal.

They cannot interfere in legal terms you have agreed with a third party.

They have no power to stop a third party trading.

Firms like THL are not required to be regulated or join any body that does that. Anybody can open a shop and put up a sign saying "tax adviser" or "accountant" and aside from perhaps your local Council Trading Standards office (who struggle with service offerings) can happily operate.

HMRC has made clear that it views THL's activities in a poor light. I'm not sure what else that could do?

Those instructing THL are subject to a number of rules and regulation. Look at the website and they are mentioned. Most of those have some form of enforcement process, even if they are deliberately (in my opinion) slow and difficult.
    You are posting too much content for such a small charge! many owe 200k-500k!

Better to focus on Spotlight48 and deal with HMRC than THL! if THL creates an issue we can take them to the court and expose their business dealings! We should be afraid of HMRC and not the THL!

Comment

Originally posted by RobScott View Post
      You are posting too much content for such a small charge! many owe 200k-500k!
      Being a bit dim here but I don't understand the above?
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by jxtractor View Post
        What? Who? What's with the KGB vibes? Are you insinuating that I'm a THL mole? Mate!

I'm trying to examine my options here as the size of my liabilities is small (as mentioned, I worked for Garraway for only 2-months on a junior salary). Too small in fact (sorry not gloating), to make it worth the money to get legal advice in my position.

Garraway (and others) / Baker Tilly / THL are deplorable and I hope they all rot in hell ... but the point of my first post was to highlight the cheek of HMRC when they remind us (in the article I've linked) that these are still, in the eyes of trust-tax laws, still considered loans, and as such, need to be 'written off' within 30-days of settling! Furthermore, their ambiguous use of the phrase 'other people' to distance themselves from any implications the loans may have on settlers in the future.

Heebee jeebee: "You’ll need to make sure the debt is legally released and it’s still possible that trustees or other people could require deeds" - Spotlight 48
        Your posts basically just paraphrases the THL arguments wrapped in some indignation - not sure many people will fall for it.

THL are the same people who sold you (?) the rubbish in the first place. Ignore them.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
          Being a bit dim here but I don't understand the above?
          I think Rob is responding to Jxtractors post rather than your post Graham (possibly quoted your post in error).

Jxtractor has suspiciously posted what looks like "War & Peace" for a measly £5k in loans.

Comment

thanks!

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            I think Rob is responding to Jxtractors post rather than your post Graham (possibly quoted your post in error).

Jxtractor has suspiciously posted what looks like "War & Peace" for a measly £5k in loans.

Sorry!
            yes, I was replying for Jxtractor!

Comment

Thanks.

I'll go back to sleep now.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by neveragain View Post
                As the 1st/15th March is quickly approaching, has anyone paid or considering paying for these Deeds?
                If anyone has paid, what do the deeds state.?
                They sent me an email last week and I replied asking them to provide me with the signed copy of the agreement I made when signing up. I'm sure it exists but they haven't replied yet aside to say "Yes, I will send it" (or along those lines).

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post

Fair. I actually finished writing a novel a few months ago... The amount is not relevant. I need to settle like everyone else with HMRC, and a debt is a debt at the end of the day -- I'm just crossing Ts.

Comment

Originally posted by jxtractor View Post
                    Fair. I actually finished writing a novel a few months ago... The amount is not relevant. I need to settle like everyone else with HMRC, and a debt is a debt at the end of the day -- I'm just crossing Ts.
                    Which is quite amusing given that the people running THL are the same people who ran Garraway etc. and promised us all that the loans 'weren't real' and therefore the loans couldn't be recalled. Anyone got a loan recently?

I'm sorry jxtractor - but you are obviously a THL representative, the line from you:

"spending 50-minutes going back and forth to a number of their departments,"

is desperate. Really? THL towers isn't really stocked with 100s of call handlers.

THL are vile, they made their 15% on the initial offering. The stress caused by these schemes has seen suicides, broken marriages and homes ripped apart. Yet THL and Baker Tilly now see an opportunity to make more money from those who are, in essence, now victims. I really wonder how Baker Tilly International will react when they push more people over the edge and their names start appearing in the papers and Parliament.

Can't you just let the rest of us try and put our lives back together?

For anyone else who thinks that paying THL 5% (soon to be 10%).
                    Don't.
                    You're being conned.
                    Again.

Read the THL emails, read the THL trolls on here and you will see a kindergarten attempt at emulating the nudge unit to make money out of the very real misery that has already destroyed enough lives.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
                      THL are vile, they made their 15% on the initial offering. The stress caused by these schemes has seen suicides, broken marriages and homes ripped apart. Yet THL and Baker Tilly now see an opportunity to make more money from those who are, in essence, now victims. I really wonder how Baker Tilly International will react when they push more people over the edge and their names start appearing in the papers and Parliament.
                      There's a good point, isn't it time we started contacting the papers? It's fairly easy to see Baker Tilly is at the root of a lot of this based on some googling. Reporters with more resources would be able to dig deeper. Think it's time Baker Tilly started feeling some pain!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X