• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC letter querying loan amount with Winchester contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC letter querying loan amount with Winchester contracts

Hello all,

I have received letter from HMRC (second one) querying my tenure with an umbrella company called Winchester contracts. I used to work through them in 2015-16. Then I moved to limited company.
    It looks like HMRC is trying to tax me retrospectively on the wage paid by Winchester as "loan amount".
    I am very stressed as most of the wage was paid as "loan amount". I went with Umbrella company as I was moving from permanent to contract role and I found Winchester on google. I had no intention to save tax but to get good deal on take home. Winchester contracts said they work under HMRC regulations. I feel cheated. HMRC should query umbrella company not me. I don't know what to do.
    Is any help available?

Thanks

Read this thread, someone who has answered may be able to help.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...r-contact.html
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by BSri View Post
      Hello all,

I have received letter from HMRC (second one) querying my tenure with an umbrella company called Winchester contracts. I used to work through them in 2015-16. Then I moved to limited company.
      It looks like HMRC is trying to tax me retrospectively on the wage paid by Winchester as "loan amount".
      I am very stressed as most of the wage was paid as "loan amount". I went with Umbrella company as I was moving from permanent to contract role and I found Winchester on google. I had no intention to save tax but to get good deal on take home. Winchester contracts said they work under HMRC regulations. I feel cheated. HMRC should query umbrella company not me. I don't know what to do.
      Is any help available?

Thanks
      Unfortunately, you didn't engage a true umbrella company. You participated in a tax avoidance scheme. Knowingly or not, that is what you did. There are hundreds of posts here from people in the same situation that can help you see a way through it.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

And regarding ‘a good deal on take home [pay]’, no umbrella does this, umbrellas work INSIDE IR35 and will take out tax and NI - if you use any legitimate umbrella you will take home around 65% of your day rate.

If an umbrella promises more than this they are a tax avoidance scheme.

The only way to get 'a good deal' is to save tax.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Take comfort from the fact that as a relatively recent user HMRC will inform you of your "liability" within a relatively quick period by their standards, and you have not been caught out by the geological timeframes they have been adhering to mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by QCApproved View Post
            Take comfort from the fact that as a relatively recent user HMRC will inform you of your "liability" within a relatively quick period by their standards, and you have not been caught out by the geological timeframes they have been adhering to mostly.
            Yes. 15/16 years.

Comment

Working...
            X