• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edm 1239 - the 2019 loan charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Groundhogdays View Post
    LCAG, agreed - love their work! I wouldn't like to have either Mel Stride or Jon Thompson's job.

It would be good if someone came forward with something useful on the LCAG's HMRC Whistleblowers forum, as I saw one or two tweets hinting at HMRC worker disgust at the 2019 Loan Charge. Not quite a smoking gun, but every little helps.

I was also interested in that other post that popped up today, about the disproportionate targeting of contractors for tax, when compared to employers, end-clients and agency hirers. Shining more of a light on that could be useful, since there has been a deafening silence from these parties so far. Maybe they're hoping the tulipstorm will pass them by, if it can be contained to contractors only.

The long hot summer and Brexit rolls on...
    Agreed, I was talking to an HMRC Special Ops guy last week on another issue ( which incidentally they have made a complete cock up of)....reading between the lines he thought they ( HMRC) had gone to far this time and ,if ....it had affected more people, he agreed we would be seeing poll tax style action on the streets.

Comment

The Spark

Originally posted by Calmbeforethestorm View Post
      Agreed, I was talking to an HMRC Special Ops guy last week on another issue ( which incidentally they have made a complete cock up of)....reading between the lines he thought they ( HMRC) had gone to far this time and ,if ....it had affected more people, he agreed we would be seeing poll tax style action on the streets.
      Just guessing here, but I think one more such cock-up, maybe concerning roll-out of IR35 off-payroll rules to the Private Sector (along with related retrospective taxation) will be enough to set things off. Then it will be clearly about far more than just loan scheme users.

Let's see - are government and HMRC stupid enough to run that gauntlet? Or do they calculate that the public are stupid enough to ignore it?

Comment

LCAG had their first batch of leaked docs on the HMRC Whistleblower portal.

They shared they docs in their latest update with full members only in their closed forum this week.
        The materials are v.interesting if not to some extent explosive....

HMRC should be _____ting themselves by now!

LCAG, agreed - love their work! I wouldn't like to have either Mel Stride or Jon Thompson's job.

It would be good if someone came forward with something useful on the LCAG's HMRC Whistleblowers forum, as I saw one or two tweets hinting at HMRC worker disgust at the 2019 Loan Charge. Not quite a smoking gun, but every little helps.

I was also interested in that other post that popped up today, about the disproportionate targeting of contractors for tax, when compared to employers, end-clients and agency hirers. Shining more of a light on that could be useful, since there has been a deafening silence from these parties so far. Maybe they're hoping the tulipstorm will pass them by, if it can be contained to contractors only.

The long hot summer and Brexit rolls on...

Comment

Disguised Extortion

Originally posted by DeadDOTAS View Post
          LCAG had their first batch of leaked docs on the HMRC Whistleblower portal.

They shared they docs in their latest update with full members only in their closed forum this week.
          The materials are v.interesting if not to some extent explosive....

HMRC should be _____ting themselves by now!

Good - as the template generic Loan Charge letters start to arrive (timed for the weekend, naturally!) they are overdue for a few more PR disasters.

I'm still not sure to what extent HMRC has misled parliament on all this, since government desperately wanted the tax windfall and enough of an impact assessment will have been done to assure them that only a minority of isolated, unpopular tax avoiders are involved (so no danger to votes). Then again, it starts to smell a bit gorgonzola when there are nearly 80 cross-party MPs coming out against the retrospection.

LCAG - love your work!

Comment

Good - as the template generic Loan Charge letters start to arrive (timed for the weekend, naturally!) they are overdue for a few more PR disasters.

I'm still not sure to what extent HMRC has misled parliament on all this, since government desperately wanted the tax windfall and enough of an impact assessment will have been done to assure them that only a minority of isolated, unpopular tax avoiders are involved (so no danger to votes). Then again, it starts to smell a bit gorgonzola when there are nearly 80 cross-party MPs coming out against the retrospection.

LCAG - love your work!
            https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...usted-13049185

Might be losing one of those who signed

Comment

I'm still not sure to what extent HMRC has misled parliament on all this
              HMRC lied to parliament

Comment

Originally posted by GammaMadrid View Post
                HMRC lied to parliament

I hear that on this forum a lot, and on several LCAG related Twitter, but the message that HMRC lied about the whole context of the Loan Charge needs to convincingly reach all the MPs that previously voted for the legislation, if there is to be a chance of overturning it. They would also need to understand the wider repercussions of retrospection, in order to change their perspective from HMRC's "not letting them get away with it" rhetoric. I wonder if the 79 MPs that have already signed the EDM are able or prepared to take it further in parliament?

This is the holiday month and probably the quietest time, so I wouldn't expect a significant rise in either MP signatures on the EDM or a jump in public signatures on the public petition until September at the earliest. October will be busy, as it's supposed to be the reporting deadline for outstanding loans, regardless of settlement or loan charge.

Comment

Please continue to engage with your MP
                  get in touch if your MP is Jo Johnson via PM
                  Orpington let your voice be heard

Comment

I hear that on this forum a lot, and on several LCAG related Twitter, but the message that HMRC lied about the whole context of the Loan Charge needs to convincingly reach all the MPs that previously voted for the legislation, if there is to be a chance of overturning it.
                    Of course, LC was part of finance act. So MPs had not choice but to vote for it.

HMRC have lied to parliament about alot of things, not just the loan charge. Hopefully the LC will provide change - but there is a long way to go.

Comment

And here the latest HMRC gem - a response to a suicidal caller to HMRC's "dedicated" hotline:

www.tinyurl.com/HMRCHotline

Basic message to the taxpayer:
                      If you won't settle, we won't be able to help you.

And wrt to the decision whether you kill yourself, well that's up to you - we can't help you making that decision!

WtF???????

Comment

Working...
                      X