• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Template for replying to HMRC for contractor loans settlement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to write to HMRC to settle the loans but is there a template I should follow?

Will something like this suffice? What offer information do I need to provide? Is there another template I should use?

I am writing because I want to settle tax investigation for contractor loans

Below is what I received:

Mar 01 2017 Acme Limited Benefit Trust £9,234.77
    Nov 01 2017 Acme Limited Benefit Trust £9,234.77
    Feb 01 2018 Acme Limited Benefit Trust £9,234.77

Originally posted by a5878170 View Post
    I want to write to HMRC to settle the loans but is there a template I should follow?

Will something like this suffice? What offer information do I need to provide? Is there another template I should use?

I am writing because I want to settle tax investigation for contractor loans

Below is what I received:

Mar 01 2017 Acme Limited Benefit Trust £9,234.77
    Nov 01 2017 Acme Limited Benefit Trust £9,234.77
    Feb 01 2018 Acme Limited Benefit Trust £9,234.77
    Seems good enough to me. Include your UTR and address and NI number.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      Seems good enough to me. Include your UTR and address and NI number.
      Thanks @webberg I also received a salary should I include those details or will HMRC already know about this?

Comment

Originally posted by a5878170 View Post
        Thanks @webberg I also received a salary should I include those details or will HMRC already know about this?
        The more you provide the fewer questions later.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Is there a template for simply asking HMRC for details of settlement and any relevant information HMRC currently hold on their claim?

Comment

Originally posted by dmuk View Post
            Is there a template for simply asking HMRC for details of settlement and any relevant information HMRC currently hold on their claim?
            HMRC can only do a settlement calculation if they have the data. Otherwise they will guess.

Information they hold on you can be obtained via an SAR (Subject Access Request).

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              HMRC can only do a settlement calculation if they have the data. Otherwise they will guess.

Information they hold on you can be obtained via an SAR (Subject Access Request).
              When you say 'guess', what metrics are HMRC likely to use?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                When you say 'guess', what metrics are HMRC likely to use?
                Well it has to be just and reasonable.

Various cases, more VAT ones that income tax of late, have looked at what HMRC can and do use to inform their opinion.

We have noticed a tendency for HMRC to look at day rate for a first go at a value. They will assume that you achieved the maximum day rate for the task and had no holidays or other time off and also that the gross day rate all went to you.

In reality, day rate for the same job often varied and breaks for holiday or whilst the client reset their objectives are common. Also fees paid by the client to the agent were never yours and cannot (in my view) be your taxable income.

If HMRc come up with a value, then the onus is on you to show it is excessive.

If you come up with a calculation then it is for HMRC to show it is not just and reasonable.

My preference would be to get your retaliation in first.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Hi "a5878170" , Did you managed to settle the enquiry with HMRC ? Loan settled and also i need a template to reply to HMRC. What other things like salary etc need to be mentioned in reply ?

Comment

Working...
                  X