• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan Charge - a beginners guide

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think your notes might be mistaken or out of context.

I have checked with one the two people you may have spoken to and they confirm that we do not, under any circumstances, say that you require the material suggested by THL.

Please call tomorrow and ask for Graham
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      I can assure you that nobody here would advise you to contact THL
      Hi webberg,

Maybe I'm being dumb, but as far as I can see we have sod all legal protection if THL or anyone else decides to call in the entirety of our loans.

Loans actually our own money? Doesn't matter.
      Everyone knows it wasn't a real loan and HMRC has declared it income? Doesn't mater.
      Loan provider lied to you about it being legal? Doesn't matter.
      Basically fraud? Doesn't matter.
      No info on the trust changing hands and no one replying to emails so you don't have a clue who actually holds it and what they intend to do with it? Doesn't matter.
      Any guarantee that a judge will overturn a contract because of common sense...

Am I wrong on any of the above? Please tell me I am, because I am very, very worried right now

But for 5% of the loan we get it written off and are covered in the future.

Seems like we'd be insane not to take this deal.

Yes, I'd rather chew glass than give these people any money, and I'm so angry right now I'm scaring my gf (on Valentine's day as well... ) but I'll take not being ruined (or spending up to 30 years waiting to see if I'll be ruined) over pride any day.

(In case anyone throws any accusations of being a stooge at me, lets chat about tracking down these scum bags and dragging them into the light. Because why will they ever stop if there are zero consequences?)

Comment

Originally posted by Bemi View Post
        Hi webberg,

Maybe I'm being dumb, but as far as I can see we have sod all legal protection if THL or anyone else decides to call in the entirety of our loans.

Everyone knows it wasn't a real loan and HMRC has declared it income? Doesn't mater.
        No info on the trust changing hands and no one replying to emails so you don't have a clue who actually holds it and what they intend to do with it? Doesn't matter.

Am I wrong on any of the above? Please tell me I am, because I am very, very worried right now

Yes, I'd rather chew glass than give these people any money, and I'm so angry right now I'm scaring my gf (on Valentine's day as well... ) but I'll take not being ruined (or spending up to 30 years waiting to see if I'll be ruined) over pride any day.

(In case anyone throws any accusations of being a stooge at me, lets chat about tracking down these scum bags and dragging them into the light. Because why will they ever stop if there are zero consequences?)
        I'll write off your loan for 4% - how about that for an offer?

Comment

just what I needed today

Originally posted by howcanigetyoualoan View Post
          I'll write off your loan for 4% - how about that for an offer?
          I think if you'd read other posts by me you will see that I am trying to determine if what THL provides actually writes off the loan.

Or you could just make a stupid reply, without this context, to show how clever you think you are.

Does that cover your question howcanigetyoualoan?
          Last edited by Bemi; 15 February 2019, 00:59. Reason: Making it clear what I was responding to by adding the quote

Comment

I think if you'd read other posts by me you will see that I am trying to determine if what THL provides actually writes off the loan.

Or you could just make a stupid reply, without this context, to show how clever you think you are.

I have not had any dealings with THL but have read a bit about their latest "offer" in the LCAG forums. No one thinks it will work, everyone thinks they are going for one last shakedown.

However, you can't expect to get other people on forums to do your research and give guarantees. For the former they don't know details and for the latter there are none. All you can do is cover yourself as best you can.

Comment

Stop wasting everyone’s time and your money. Speak to WTT yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by howcanigetyoualoan View Post
                Stop wasting everyone’s time and your money. Speak to WTT yourself.
                Wow, you get angry easily. Seems odd given you were trying to wind me up. Bullies often can't take what they dish out

Strike 2 on making assumptions by the way. I am speaking to WTT next week.

But I have every right to ask questions like anyone else and I am sure there are other people in future who will read the responses to those questions and learn from them as I have from reading others.

As for wasting your time...

YOU CHOSE to reply to someone who was stressed and upset by mocking them.

Then YOU CHOSE to get angry at their response correcting your assumptions.

So take some personal responsibility for how you choose to use your time.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
                  No one thinks it will work, everyone thinks they are going for one last shakedown.
                  Then you haven't read as much as I have managed in a single day then, as it is not universal like you are saying. But anyone who disagrees just gets called a "THL mole", which is super mature and helpful.

However, you can't expect to get other people on forums to do your research and give guarantees.
                  This is a bit of a straw man. I have not asked anyone to do my research for me. I have asked if people who are RECOMMENDING that I and others take a particular course of action actually have any assurances that doing so would not be a financial disaster.

I think that's a very legit question.

For the former they don't know details and for the latter there are none. All you can do is cover yourself as best you can.
                  Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for.

Comment

THL

Hi webberg,

Unfortunately whether you like it or not, the fact that you only appeared on these boards yesterday and have made multiple posts on the THL solution , your first being in support of someone whoclaims to have taken up THL's option is bound to make people suspicious, your final comment above does nothing to allay this.
                    If you want my opinion, I do believe taking THL's option will release you from any further obligation to pay back the loans, but I also believe that any attempt to force you to pay them back in the future by the trustees could be defended in court, if the people behind these schemes really thought they could recall the laons, do you think they would settle for 5% of their value ?
                    I do not think taking THL's option will avoid the LC , HMRC are quite clear that you have to repay the full amount in cash to avoid the charge, a write of of the loan will not suffice.
                    Last edited by Albert49; 15 February 2019, 12:40.

Comment

Hi webberg,

5% of the loan we get it written off and are covered in the future.

Are there protections? Yes but you have to use the documents you signed and contest the terms being applied and perhaps roll in a bit of trust law to help you.

Can you do this on your own? Yes, but let's be honest it's easier and cheaper as a group.

Can we (WTT) do this? No, we're not lawyers but we do have a solid and committed and growing daily group and good connections with law firms in the IOM and other places who will, for a fee, take this on.

Are there any guarantees that the loans will not be repayable? No. We think a Court may struggle for some of the reasons you mention (and some others) to find against you, but it's litigation and therefore uncertain.

Will writing the loan off be taxable? Yes.

Will I pay tax on the write off and also the loan charge? No.

Will I pay tax on the wrote off and the earlier years once the dust has settled? Probably not.

What here is certain and what is opinion? Nothing and most of it.

None of our clients will be taking the THL offer. Whether you chose to or not, I cannot help you with.
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X