• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TTP for non residents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Endofdays View Post
    Uk
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TSMRTZ View Post
      Hi,

My wife worked in the UK under one of these schemes from 2009-11. After getting the HMRC letter in late June I contacted the ATO to ask if they would collect tax on behalf of another country - the operator I spoke to claimed they had no knowledge of this ever happening (this may be incorrect as they were a phone operative, although I was left hanging for a while whilst they asked a manager). I have also emailed the HMRC numerous times asking them to clarify their jurisdictional rights over commonwealth countries, as of today I haven't received an answer.

We have been speaking with Phil at DSW and one of the options we are exploring is declaring bankruptcy in the UK.
      I spoke with ATO Early Engagement team who directed me to the Cross Border Recovery rules. These highlight if there is any dispute you need to argue it in the country where the tax originated (i.e the UK in this instance).

Comment

Hi, does this mean the ATO won't collect the tax on behalf of the HMRC?

I did have some advice that if the tax laws of the two countries do not align then it makes it hard for the HMRC to collect the outstanding debt?

Is it possible the HMRC could on-sell the debt to an international debt collector?

Comment

Originally posted by TSMRTZ View Post
          Hi, does this mean the ATO won't collect the tax on behalf of the HMRC?
          There are at least two examples of HMRC trying to collect an APN via ATO.

Comment

Do you know if the HMRC were successful in the collection of the APN?

Comment

Working...
            X