• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor packs by end of September

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor packs by end of September

Hi All

Have you / your tax advisors submitted contractors packs to HMRC yet ?

Just wonder how many people decided to go for it...

Originally posted by Mm11 View Post
    Hi All

Have you / your tax advisors submitted contractors packs to HMRC yet ?

Just wonder how many people decided to go for it...

I think at the very least you need to keep all your options open.

Comment

Originally posted by headspin View Post
      I think at the very least you need to keep all your options open.
      Yes I want to submit it today and just wonder if many already did it

Comment

Originally posted by Mm11 View Post
        Yes I want to submit it today and just wonder if many already did it
        Yes, thousands have.

How many of those convert to actual settlement is unknown.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Putting mine in today but still not sure about the SP Malta situation.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            Yes, thousands have.

How many of those convert to actual settlement is unknown.
            Is it really thousands Webberg? as in 10s of thousands??

HMRC are gonna have their work cut out! perhaps those murmurings of being short staffed are founded after all... even processing 10 a day will take them well passed April 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Finalwhistle View Post
              Is it really thousands Webberg? as in 10s of thousands??

HMRC are gonna have their work cut out! perhaps those murmurings of being short staffed are founded after all... even processing 10 a day will take them well passed April 2019
              Up to May this year, HMRC claim nearly 21,000.

In the 4 months since I suspect you can add another 20,000.

(We'll be asking via a FOI next week).

If it is 40,000, then on the evidence we see that the rule of "touch each piece of paper only once" being ignored, the registration, spreadsheet calcs and letter preparation is needing say 5 hours per case. dealing with queries, and pre contract issues, another 3 hours. Contract and clearance etc, say 2 hours.

At a minimum 10 hours per case. So 400,000 man hours assuming maximum efficiency.

Each highly motivated HMRC processor might put in 30 hours a week working time. That's 256 man years of work.

Giving an allowance for work to May this year, HMRC needs a minimum of perhaps 500 people processing settlements, plus say managers at a level of 1:20?

To the best of my knowledge HMRC does not have 500+ people working this.

Happy to be corrected if anybody has better data?
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

So they have got zero chance of getting through all this before their LC kicks in.... reckon this alone will get it delayed.

Having spoken to an HMRC person in the APN dept today, they are so disillusioned with everything already dealing with the fallout from Huitson and Bramfield and they haven't even started on this yet.Probably all will be wishing it will go away as much as the contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  Up to May this year, HMRC claim nearly 21,000.

In the 4 months since I suspect you can add another 20,000.

(We'll be asking via a FOI next week).

If it is 40,000, then on the evidence we see that the rule of "touch each piece of paper only once" being ignored, the registration, spreadsheet calcs and letter preparation is needing say 5 hours per case. dealing with queries, and pre contract issues, another 3 hours. Contract and clearance etc, say 2 hours.

At a minimum 10 hours per case. So 400,000 man hours assuming maximum efficiency.

Each highly motivated HMRC processor might put in 30 hours a week working time. That's 256 man years of work.

Giving an allowance for work to May this year, HMRC needs a minimum of perhaps 500 people processing settlements, plus say managers at a level of 1:20?

To the best of my knowledge HMRC does not have 500+ people working this.

Happy to be corrected if anybody has better data?
                  Didn't they say they had 160 in that dept. I would have thought that they may be at the point of considering their life choices by now just like us LC victims. So who knows how many will last for much longer.

If they fail to process people who have met the deadline then it will be interesting to see what happens. I know they say LC applies, but can it if they have failed to meet their obligation?

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
                    Didn't they say they had 160 in that dept. I would have thought that they may be at the point of considering their life choices by now just like us LC victims. So who knows how many will last for much longer.

If they fail to process people who have met the deadline then it will be interesting to see what happens. I know they say LC applies, but can it if they have failed to meet their obligation?

Keep sending them requests for info to keep them busy.

Confirm calcs
                    Confirm dates
                    Personal Allowances
                    etc. etc.

send them one for each year

Comment

Working...
                    X