• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do if opting for Loan charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do if opting for Loan charge

Hi,

I am a british citizen in US. I received letter from HMRC 2 days back suggesting that I settle before the LC kicks in. However, in my case, it is actually preferred that I don't settle but pay LC, for two reasons:
    1) I used the scheme in 2010 for only 5 months - total loan £26000 - when I was new to UK
    2) I presently have very low UK income (rental income less than £10,000 a year).
    So, even if they add up loan to my income derived from UK, I should be in 20% bracket.

My question is, what is my course of action if I want to pay LC? should I ignore HMRC's letter? or should I respond to them (they have given me email address) and let them know that I will pay LC?

Thanks !

Originally posted by hmrcvictim View Post
    Hi,

I am a british citizen in US. I received letter from HMRC 2 days back suggesting that I settle before the LC kicks in. However, in my case, it is actually preferred that I don't settle but pay LC, for two reasons:
    1) I used the scheme in 2010 for only 5 months - total loan £26000 - when I was new to UK
    2) I presently have very low UK income (rental income less than £10,000 a year).
    So, even if they add up loan to my income derived from UK, I should be in 20% bracket.

My question is, what is my course of action if I want to pay LC? should I ignore HMRC's letter? or should I respond to them (they have given me email address) and let them know that I will pay LC?

Thanks !
    The letter was just that a letter. If I was you i'd not respond at all. The LC loans do not have to be declared until Sept 2019 -so wait until then and hope the rule my get changed. You could join LCAG and also help in those rules being changed.

Comment

Originally posted by hmrcvictim View Post
      Hi,

Thanks !

As delendog suggests - LCAG are a great place to start 2019 Loan Charge Action Group (LCAG) - Loan Charge Action Group

Comment

What to do

I have been out of the country since 2000 and can't even remember having the loan scheme. I received a letter saying i should settle now before the loan charge. I am not sure if I should contact them (which would confirm my address) or ignore it. Either way I have no documentation from that period to prove anything as I can't even remember the scheme.
        Any ideas what I should do?
        Can they chase me abroad for the money?
        TIA

Comment

What to do

Don't ignore it, get good independent tax advice
          Join LCAG and fight the LC
          Check whether your in a MARD country

Comment

Working...
          X