• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Loan Charge thread. who's best for my situation? Am i actually caught?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
    As luck would have it, the GAAR advisery panel explain how this might work yesterday: https://assets.publishing.service.go...ans__Mr_N_.pdf

Of course it is possible that yours worked in a very different way.
    And I think the final sentence here is the more accurate.

The OP was clear that what he had what a double limited type structure in which his company was in receipt of funds which subsequently went on a journey.

The GAAR opinion deals with a trust that employs contractors who are are then made available to another intermediary and then to the end user of the services.

In my view, very different.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

And indeed is is different, but not so very far removed from the GAAR description.

This highlights a key issue perhaps.

The GAAR process is never going to describe each and every scheme that they consider to be "abuse".

(Equally I;ve never see an opinion that says a scheme is effective).

Do we then have to draw some parallels between what the GAAR opinion says and a scheme that is similar but different in some often crucial ways?

Unfortunately we seem to be no further advanced from the HMRC view that the tax law means what they think it means and other opinions are inherently worthless.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        Do we then have to draw some parallels between what the GAAR opinion says and a scheme that is similar but different in some often crucial ways?
        Of course you do. But how is that any different from any other aspect of tax? The great thing about the published opinion is that is helps explain what is crucial and why they think it is.

Unfortunately we seem to be no further advanced from the HMRC view that the tax law means what they think it means and other opinions are inherently worthless.
        Well the GAAR Advisory Panel is independent of HMRC so I guess we have two views.

And isn't a GAAR opinion a good thing if you want to target promoters? That certainly helps from a POTAS perspective.

Comment

The OP was clear that what he had what a double limited type structure in which his company was in receipt of funds which subsequently went on a journey.
          Ah, fair enough. I guess that post has been deleted now.

Comment

Working...
          X