• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any settlement figures yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by passerby View Post
    HMRC do not accept credit cards anymore
    Not directly, no. So I use my Curve card which turns a credit card into a debit card, so I continue to earn my credit card points when paying HMRC. I even paid about £10k on an Amex (but then Amex and Curve got into fisticuffs and Amex support was pulled).

Comment

I received my numbers back in September 2018, sent a reply seeking a repayment plan, chased up three times in email and once over the phone. Not had anything back. What can HMRC expect of me come 5th April?

Comment

Originally posted by NadJ View Post
        I received my numbers back in September 2018, sent a reply seeking a repayment plan, chased up three times in email and once over the phone. Not had anything back. What can HMRC expect of me come 5th April?
        They will expect the loan charge to apply if you have not agreed a settlement.

Do NOT sit back and leave this with HMRC.

At the end of the day, this is YOUR responsibility and blaming HMRC for a loan charge will not wash.

I know it's not fair etc, but it is what it is.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Thanks. I did agree to the settlement. Willing to pay it but as I work in a totally different industry now on a modest permanent salary I requested repayment of 10k over 3 years. To that I've had no response. Almost 6 months now. Just tried calling again, it is impossible to get through to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            They will expect the loan charge to apply if you have not agreed a settlement.

Do NOT sit back and leave this with HMRC.

At the end of the day, this is YOUR responsibility and blaming HMRC for a loan charge will not wash.

I know it's not fair etc, but it is what it is.
            HMRC have relaxed the deadline though - they are now saying on their website that it’s fine if you didn’t register or agree settlement in September 18, you can still come forward as long as they receive the information they require by April 5th, then the loan charge won’t apply. They also stated this a few weeks ago in their agent webinar (I’m not an agent but listened in anyway).

Although, I think it might be worth sending a letter by recorded delivery and keeping a copy of the letter and postal receipt, in case of future issues. If you’ve emailed, posted a letter, phone then you’ve pretty much covered all communication bases (good to keep a note of the date and time of phone call too)

Comment

Thanks. I did agree to the settlement. Willing to pay it but as I work in a totally different industry now on a modest permanent salary I requested repayment of 10k over 3 years. To that I've had no response. Almost 6 months now. Just tried calling again, it is impossible to get through to anyone.
              Have you agreed?

If HMRC consider that the matter of the TTP is outstanding, then they may see this as not having agreed.

Send a letter to HMRC- recorded - saying that you have agreed, proposing the TTP and ask them directly to confirm.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Please see

Disguised remuneration: settling your tax affairs - GOV.UK

I really don’t think you have to worry so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Boodog View Post
                  Although, I think it might be worth sending a letter by recorded delivery and keeping a copy of the letter and postal receipt, in case of future issues.
                  I can't see how a recorded delivery letter and receipt proves anything, if the HMRC are being arsey. It only proves the delivery of an envelope, not the content. Otherwise anyone can just defer settlement decision by posting a blank letter to HMRC via recorded delivery and later using that receipt as "evidence" of settlement agreement, and claim that HMRC must have lost the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post
                    I can't see how a recorded delivery letter and receipt proves anything, if the HMRC are being arsey. It only proves the delivery of an envelope, not the content. Otherwise anyone can just defer settlement decision by posting a blank letter to HMRC via recorded delivery and later using that receipt as "evidence" of settlement agreement, and claim that HMRC must have lost the contract.
                    They received an email at the same time from me with scanned papers

Comment

Originally posted by Boodog View Post
                      Please see

Disguised remuneration: settling your tax affairs - GOV.UK

I really don’t think you have to worry so much!
                      I wish I had your confidence!

HMRC is desperate to release the teams now working on settlement because I suspect that they have other lucrative projects lined up and also it's interfering with their plans to move to 13 super centres.

I would not be at all surprised if they reached the end of August and stopped work on settlement.

If by that time you cannot show that you have made every effort to get to settlement, preferably by sending content and not empty envelopes (why would you do that?), then the answer may be "tough".

But hey, what do I know?

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X