• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any settlement figures yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dmac View Post
    Sorry - inheritance tax. HMRC crooks are trying to charge us IHT where the loans are being written-off, as if we are in some way benefitting from this. I have heard that some of those settling have had this included in their settlement letters.

But it will only be there (I understand) if you ticked the box in your Pack indicating you are looking to get the loans written-off within 30 days.
    Be careful.

If you do not "tick the box" but get the loans written off anyway, you create (possibly) and obligation to tell HMRC that fact.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Dmac View Post
      Sorry - inheritance tax. HMRC crooks are trying to charge us IHT where the loans are being written-off, as if we are in some way benefitting from this. I have heard that some of those settling have had this included in their settlement letters.

But it will only be there (I understand) if you ticked the box in your Pack indicating you are looking to get the loans written-off within 30 days.
      Oh right, no I did not tick the box...so nothing about IHT in my correspondence.

Comment

IHT has increased since 2015 settlement offer

I had a settlement offer in May 2015 and the IHT figure has more than doubled in the December 2018 settlement offer. Does anyone know why this would be?

The Loan amount has not changed.

Comment

Got my settlement offer today in the post. I originally told them that I would be getting loans written off, but in the settlement offer they've just told me that they have insufficient info on the trust to judge whether IHT has been incurred. The offer does however ask again whether I will be releasing the loans now.

Comment

Originally posted by timetogohome View Post
            I had a settlement offer in May 2015 and the IHT figure has more than doubled in the December 2018 settlement offer. Does anyone know why this would be?

The Loan amount has not changed.
            As I understand it (but happy to be corrected), the charge for IHT is 0.25% of the loan amount for each quarter it has been in existance. Hence why (along with accumulating interest) is preferable to get it written off and settle sooner rather than later.

Comment

Got my settlement figures through today.

Interestingly I only supplied them with the details of 1 of the closed years that I wanted to settle but they have responded by including all closed years into the settlement figures. They are obviously more on the ball than I thought because I didn't think they knew about the loans from the other closed years.

The closed years figures (not supplied) they calculated are way off as they have guessed them via salary multiples, so I'm not going to settle closed years with them.

No IHT asked for yet. I didn't check the box.

Comment

The fibbers!

Originally posted by InNZ View Post
                Not yet - have been told to expect something by late December, although they didn't specify the year.

And judging by the fact that they still can't even get the basics, such as my name, correct, I have little faith in them calculating the correct settlement amount.
                Funnily enough, no settlement figure despite being told to expect it late December - but as I said originally, they didn't specify the year so maybe December 2019!

Comment

only 25% got letters

Originally posted by InNZ View Post
                  Funnily enough, no settlement figure despite being told to expect it late December - but as I said originally, they didn't specify the year so maybe December 2019!
                  only 25% out of 104k affected got letters as per some discussion in twitter

Comment

Any settlement figures in last 2 weeks

Originally posted by RobScott View Post
                    only 25% out of 104k affected got letters as per some discussion in twitter
                    Anyone else got settlement offers in last 2 weeks? HMRC promised to get back by end of December but they have kept everybody guessing on whether it was 2018 or 2019.

As I wait for my settlement figures, I was curious to see what sort of figures (close to expected or much higher) are they coming back with.

__________________________________________________ __________
                    Beaten black and Blue by HMRC

Comment

My settlement figures came through mid January

Comment

Working...
                      X