• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any settlement figures yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    I wish I had your confidence!

HMRC is desperate to release the teams now working on settlement because I suspect that they have other lucrative projects lined up and also it's interfering with their plans to move to 13 super centres.

I would not be at all surprised if they reached the end of August and stopped work on settlement.

If by that time you cannot show that you have made every effort to get to settlement, preferably by sending content and not empty envelopes (why would you do that?), then the answer may be "tough".

But hey, what do I know?
    Exactly!

Comment

Just called them and got through first time (miracle of all miracles). The guy could see I sent in my filled in forms back in September but he can't work out why no one's sent me a settlement plan as it's been 6 months. He said quite clearly, in any case anyone who has been in contact does not need to worry about the 5th of April date. And then words to the effect of We acknowledge it's our delay and you should expect to receive a how to pay and when to pay letter next.

Comment

Originally posted by NadJ View Post
        Just called them and got through first time (miracle of all miracles). The guy could see I sent in my filled in forms back in September but he can't work out why no one's sent me a settlement plan as it's been 6 months. He said quite clearly, in any case anyone who has been in contact does not need to worry about the 5th of April date. And then words to the effect of We acknowledge it's our delay and you should expect to receive a how to pay and when to pay letter next.
        If you can get that assurance in writing from HMRC then I reckon you could sell copies at £10 a go here.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

No Settlement figures yet for me

Originally posted by NadJ View Post
          Similar case with me. Sent all the figures to HMRC on 30th September 2018 but I am still awaiting a settlement figure. I got an email from HMRC requesting for additional info (basically clarifications on the figures) in end of January 2019 but no settlement figures yet. There was an email from HMRC stating that "All those who have sent the settlement pack by Sept 2018 need not worry about the delay in the settlement figure from HMRC".

However the confidence shown by Webberg has got me worried. I am going to call them now and record whatever they say. Just in case if whatever Webberg has mentioned comes out to be the case later...

__________________________________________________ ________________________
          Beaten black and blue by HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by blackandblue View Post
            Similar case with me. Sent all the figures to HMRC on 30th September 2018 but I am still awaiting a settlement figure. I got an email from HMRC requesting for additional info (basically clarifications on the figures) in end of January 2019 but no settlement figures yet. There was an email from HMRC stating that "All those who have sent the settlement pack by Sept 2018 need not worry about the delay in the settlement figure from HMRC".

However the confidence shown by Webberg has got me worried. I am going to call them now and record whatever they say. Just in case if whatever Webberg has mentioned comes out to be the case later...

__________________________________________________ ________________________
            If you are going to record a conversation, then you need to tell them you are doing that and ask their permission.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Waiting for settlement figures

If you are going to record a conversation, then you need to tell them you are doing that and ask their permission.
              Could not speak to them today but I have left my number with them and hopefully should get a response back by Monday. Thanks for reminding me, I will get their permission before recording the conversation.
              __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

Not necessarily. You're at liberty to record calls for your own personal usage as long as they're not shared with third parties.

Call Recording Law in the UK 2018 edition

I would advise everyone to record their conversations with HMRC, given they are inconsistent & incompetent at best and downright liars at worst.

Comment

Record the conversation or get an email from HMRC?

Originally posted by MyxALot View Post
                  Not necessarily. You're at liberty to record calls for your own personal usage as long as they're not shared with third parties.

Call Recording Law in the UK 2018 edition

I would advise everyone to record their conversations with HMRC, given they are inconsistent & incompetent at best and downright liars at worst.
                  Got an call from HMRC. They reiterated the same statement "you will be given an opportunity to settle without the loan charge'. When I asked if I can record the conversation, she offered to send me an email stating this. Within 10 minutes after the call, I got this email

Dear xxxx

In regards to your recent call, I confirmed that you would not be subject to the loan charge as you have made a genuine attempt to settle your outstanding tax bill. I confirmed that because of this, HMRC will give you the opportunity to settle after the 5th of April.

Yours sincerely,

The only remaining concern right now is the interest on the loan amount. I know HMRC snoozed the interest calculation clock on 30th Sept 2018 but will that be the case till I get my settlement or the clock will start clicking again from April 2019. Any information on this anybody?

************************************************** ******************

Comment

So, my one is slightly different, in that I actually got a settlement figure in January and I posted it back saying I am willing to pay the whole amount in one. Since then...nothing..

So I called them the other week and the lady saw my reply on their system and straight away said "the balls in their (HMRC) court" in that they will eventually get back to me in terms of payment and timeline to pay.

I asked about the interest being increased since the loan charge hits the end of this week and new tax year etc...and she told me that since I have agreed a figure with HMRC that is final - they will not increase the figure unless I do not pay in time (when I eventually get the payment letter). Never recorded the conversation - I don't even know how you record a phone call - I assume there are apps that can do that but I am not too fussed about that.

Comment

Originally posted by lara400 View Post
                      ...Never recorded the conversation - I don't even know how you record a phone call - I assume there are apps that can do that but I am not too fussed about that.
                      Depending on your phone, apple of android lots of applications the facilitate call recording but make sure it does record the receiver on the other end. Just give it a trial. Some applications can be set to auto record every incoming/outgoing telephone call.

You are allowed to record phone calls as stated above, and I would include anyone and everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X