• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settlement (Anyone ever been offered a reduction)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settlement (Anyone ever been offered a reduction)

Hi all,

A very simple question:- while discussing/negotiating with HMRC, has anyone been offered any kind of reduction, the amount of reduction doesn't matter, I'd just like to know if they offered anything off the amount which they say that you owed.

Thanks

Originally posted by Babayaga View Post
    Hi all,

A very simple question:- while discussing/negotiating with HMRC, has anyone been offered any kind of reduction, the amount of reduction doesn't matter, I'd just like to know if they offered anything off the amount which they say that you owed.

Thanks
    Almost certainly not as that would lead to all sorts of accusations of unfair treatment which terrifies HMRC.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Vodafone settled...

Vodafone in multi-million pound tax deal with HMRC - Accountancy Age
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

That was 2013.

There is no suggestion that they got a "deal".

This looks like a transfer pricing situation (i.e. value of goods bought/sold between group companies, cross border). It is usual in such situations for "open market value" to be one of several benchmarks against which transactions are measured.

Completely different from the present non statutory offer.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Sweetheart deals used to be fairly common. One scheme got a deal in 2001. At some point HMRC stopped doing them.

A DTA user managed to get no interest and no penalties with 4 years TTP. However the alternative was bankruptcy - HMRC will always take something over nothing.

If you will struggle to pay, best to contact Graham/Phil who can assist.

Comment

Working...
          X