• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LOAN CHARGE expenses deductions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOAN CHARGE expenses deductions

Hi there,

I have spent an hour or so looking through the forums but not found any details so apologies if this has been raised.

I am looking for information on legitmate business expenses to deduct against the £58,000 I am liable for with the LC.

Does anyone have any information to hand or know what the score is when it comes to deductions agaisnt the loan amount?

Thanks in advance.

B

Originally posted by beresd View Post
    Hi there,

I have spent an hour or so looking through the forums but not found any details so apologies if this has been raised.

I am looking for information on legitmate business expenses to deduct against the £58,000 I am liable for with the LC.

Does anyone have any information to hand or know what the score is when it comes to deductions agaisnt the loan amount?

Thanks in advance.

B
    Not possible in statute.

The legislation allows for deductions from the gross loans only for amounts subject to a previously agreed tax charge.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      Not possible in statute.

The legislation allows for deductions from the gross loans only for amounts subject to a previously agreed tax charge.

What expense deductions can we make from total loan amount?

Can we make standard 5% expense diductions from total loan amount as if HMRC is classifying this PAYE umbrella income then as far as I know 5% straight is what normally contractors can deduct from umbrella earnings without providing any expense evidence.
      See this

Contractors' Questions: What is the IR35 5% expense rule?

So if are forcing us to declare loan as income we should be in position to deduct 5% as expense?
      Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by simran View Post
        What expense deductions can we make from total loan amount?

Can we make standard 5% expense diductions from total loan amount as if HMRC is classifying this PAYE umbrella income then as far as I know 5% straight is what normally contractors can deduct from umbrella earnings without providing any expense evidence.
        See this

Contractors' Questions: What is the IR35 5% expense rule?

So if are forcing us to declare loan as income we should be in position to deduct 5% as expense?
        Any advice?
        HMRC is not classifying the loan as PAYE income. It is treating the loan amount as income for the purposes of the loan charge. That is not a substitute for PAYE.

Consequently, no 5% deduction.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
        X