• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could I end up paying HMRC the tax and being asked to pay my loan back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delendog View Post
    If you are paying interest on this loan to the loan provider, what rate of interest are you paying can you prove you made interest payments from your own bank etc - if you can show that and show that interest is at a rate that a person in the street could get on a loan I think you'd have an argument that the loan doesn't fall into the loan charge - did you talk this through with WTT or Phil.
    Thanks for your comment.
    I have a telephone consult booked with WTT next week and am waiting for a call back from Phil’s company. Apparently the rate of interest is higher than if it was a benefit in kind loan (not sure I’ve understood this correctly)
    I do have that evidence I made x3 payments of interest. Should I just send this evidence to HMRC, along with the loan agreement ? That way, they can decide if I owe them tax?
    Or is that a really naive thing to do?

Comment

Originally posted by ClareGunne View Post
      Thanks for your comment.
      I have a telephone consult booked with WTT next week and am waiting for a call back from Phil’s company. Apparently the rate of interest is higher than if it was a benefit in kind loan (not sure I’ve understood this correctly)
      I do have that evidence I made x3 payments of interest. Should I just send this evidence to HMRC, along with the loan agreement ? That way, they can decide if I owe them tax?
      Or is that a really naive thing to do?

It’s 3.5 % plus official standard rate of interest ?

Comment

Originally posted by ClareGunne View Post
        It’s 3.5 % plus official standard rate of interest ?
        Do nothing until you have spoken to us.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
        X