• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settled in full with HMRC, loan written off. Now Ltd Co has tax enquiry???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by here4beer View Post
    Ltd Co earns 100k.
    Ltd Co pays 90k into tax deductible business trust.
    :
    Who told you that?

HMRC? Probably not. The Sempra and dextra cases touched and explored this matter. The taxpayers won, but that view was held to be probably incorrect by the Supreme Court, at least where an EBT was concerned.

Difference between an EBT and "business trust".

As far as I can see, "business trust" is not a legally defined term. It's a name made up in a book from an alleged expert.

The theory is that a business can pay something to a trust and the trust can benefit people who can benefit the business. For example, suppliers, business providers etc.

The expense is said to be allowable, but as what?

To be allowed as an expense it has to be spent, not held in suspense until you decide what to do with it.

Also, as is stated above, the EBT versions had the law changed to say that the CT deduction was available only when the money was subject to tax at the personal level.

Advising on deductions is not my area, but prima facie I would not be telling clients whose companies made such a contribution that it was deductible for CT purposes.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      Who told you that?
      promoter (salesman), and accountant.

HMRC? Probably not. The Sempra and dextra cases touched and explored this matter. The taxpayers won, but that view was held to be probably incorrect by the Supreme Court, at least where an EBT was concerned.

Difference between an EBT and "business trust".

As far as I can see, "business trust" is not a legally defined term. It's a name made up in a book from an alleged expert.

The theory is that a business can pay something to a trust and the trust can benefit people who can benefit the business. For example, suppliers, business providers etc.

Yes, that's how it's sold to us. The payment to the B Trust gives the Ltd Company access to a network of contractor... 'stuff'. Jobs, networking, advice, fellow contractors for substitution Ir35 compliance things, etc.

The expense is said to be allowable, but as what?

To be allowed as an expense it has to be spent, not held in suspense until you decide what to do with it.

Once it's in the Business Trust, it's out of the Ltd Co hands. It's gone and spent.

Also, as is stated above, the EBT versions had the law changed to say that the CT deduction was available only when the money was subject to tax at the personal level.

Advising on deductions is not my area, but prima facie I would not be telling clients whose companies made such a contribution that it was deductible for CT purposes.
      With hindsight, the whole saga is ridiculous, hence most people coming forward and asking HMRC to settle. I'm just disappointed to hear from the OP that their settling with HMRC didn't take care of both sides of the scheme. I for one am just coming to terms with the large personal settlement bill, the thought of more incoming tax is frightening.

Comment

Originally posted by here4beer View Post
        With hindsight, the whole saga is ridiculous, hence most people coming forward and asking HMRC to settle. I'm just disappointed to hear from the OP that their settling with HMRC didn't take care of both sides of the scheme. I for one am just coming to terms with the large personal settlement bill, the thought of more incoming tax is frightening.
        I think you summed it up in the first comment - the promoter told you.

Well that advice was debatable in 2005 (Dextra) and even more so in 2007 (Sempra). Those cases are often cited by promoters of the time as "proof" that payments to a trust are tax deductible.

Later, when law arrived to say for an EBT such payments would not be a CT deduction without tax on the employee being paid, those schemes using "business trusts" (sometimes called "remuneration trusts" - another made up name without legal definition that I can find) the RT/business trusts claimed that as you were not an employee and the trust was unconnected with your work, it was not caught.

That is a line that is repeated a lot by these people.

I'm sure we all have an opinion on them and the claim.

I know mine is perhaps at the end of the scale that is opposite the promoters.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Webberg does it help if my the Ltd Co in question was closed down around 3 years ago with full agreement from HMRC and no tax debt at the time of being struck off from Companies House?

Also HMRC have been informed I've settled personally. No response yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Whysoserious View Post
            Webberg does it help if my the Ltd Co in question was closed down around 3 years ago with full agreement from HMRC and no tax debt at the time of being struck off from Companies House?

Also HMRC have been informed I've settled personally. No response yet.
            Honestly?

I don't know.

I would hope that HMRC having settled and nothing being hidden will realise that they may have made an error but you have not. They should take no further action.

Ten years ago, I would have said that would have happened.

Today, I'm not so confident.

I think it would be very difficult for HMRC to take further action in the circumstances you mention, but then nobody really saw the loan charge coming.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Any update on this?

Can you not argue that just because you've classed your loan as income, doesn't automatically incriminate your company deductions? Do they not need to prove a connection? I don't know - innocent till proven guilty, etc...

if you pay into a business trust that gives your ltd co perks, you have paid for something and have got something? What that trust does isn't your concern, surely?

Comment

Settled in full with HMRC, loan written off

"Whysoserious" , can i be in touch with you ?I am not very good in accounts and my Accountant just moved to Australia ...Need to get some knowledge on " Settled in full with HMRC, loan written off".

Comment

Originally posted by sunilthakur007 View Post
                  "Whysoserious" , can i be in touch with you ?I am not very good in accounts and my Accountant just moved to Australia ...Need to get some knowledge on " Settled in full with HMRC, loan written off".
                  You really need to get in touch with a tax advisor, and one that is fully versed in this whole shambles. There are a few about. A simple google or search of this forum should point you in the right direction. Think of it as a bit of money spent now, saving a lot of money further down the line.

Comment

Settled in full with HMRC, loan written off. Now Ltd Co has tax enquiry???

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                    You really need to get in touch with a tax advisor, and one that is fully versed in this whole shambles. There are a few about. A simple google or search of this forum should point you in the right direction. Think of it as a bit of money spent now, saving a lot of money further down the line.

Thanks a lot for reply , Yeah ...This is what i was thinking as well and googled it also ....Trying to find a good tax advisor who can handle this and who has knowledge of these type of cases.

Thanks and Regards,

Comment

Speak to WTT or DSW. They should be able to help you.

Comment

Working...
                      X