• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phil - 'The Tax guy' (the rather dull and underwhelming sequel)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We sent an internal, client only, newsletter in February that looked at the 2 schemes we know about at that time (since have seen another 3) and said that we would not recommend any of them.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Sounds like you might have hurt his feelings!

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
        Sounds like you might have hurt his feelings!
        Came aross an umbrella company called - Contracter Co-op - not sure what it’s all about or who’s in charge or if it’s another scam - anyone here any the wiser? Webberg???

Comment

Contractor Coop

Originally posted by Boodog View Post
          Came aross an umbrella company called - Contracter Co-op - not sure what it’s all about or who’s in charge or if it’s another scam - anyone here any the wiser? Webberg???
          Boodog, as I am sure you are aware Contractor Coop is an Umbrella company ran by Webberg's WTT , I note you worded your comment carefully to avoid it being libelous , do you have any reasons to mention the word scam in connection to it, or was it just a dig at Webberg ?

Comment

I'm happy, subject to mods permission, to discuss the Cooperative here or anywhere.

Be clear though, it's an umbrella deducting full PAYE from every penny that goes through it.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Phil's redemption

I'd be happy to forgive Phils threats, name calling and slightly egocentric, childish musings on Twitter as I'd imagine he has a million people calling him and asking him to fix their problems which I assume is stressful. I've not really used twitter much before this but its a massive drain on your psyche and spare time.
              But of all the massive threats of 'game changing facts to be released to public', I am unsure what if any have been released by Phil?
              Is there a game changer Phil? Or what are you talking about, as sadly I do have to agree here that it just sounds like you want attention and have nothing?
              I am waiting for you to redeem yourself. I hope you do....

Comment

Originally posted by QUODM View Post
                I'd be happy to forgive Phils threats, name calling and slightly egocentric, childish musings on Twitter as I'd imagine he has a million people calling him and asking him to fix their problems which I assume is stressful. I've not really used twitter much before this but its a massive drain on your psyche and spare time.
                But of all the massive threats of 'game changing facts to be released to public', I am unsure what if any have been released by Phil?
                Is there a game changer Phil? Or what are you talking about, as sadly I do have to agree here that it just sounds like you want attention and have nothing?
                I am waiting for you to redeem yourself. I hope you do....
                While many would agree with some of the tweet stuff including myself, Phil has been doing all sorts of unsung stuff behind the scenes. Don't expect everything to be explicitly communicated though, why tell HMRC what you are doing unless you want them to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
                  You also have to remember that his very own advice is not to touch these things as they don't work.

There is now so much information on the internet (here, QC's websites, promoter's sites, Twitter, etc) that it would be easy for HMRC to work out the various ways being touted to, purportedly, stop the April 2019 loan charge.

Oh, and some of the comments seem to focus on what people should disclose (leave a nominal £400 or so of tax to pay type of comments). And that then gets you into even more serious consequences if it involves offshore stuff. I think Cyprus may be a "category 1" territory so only a 100% penalty for new things (but haven't checked) but who knows what countries are actually involved in whatever is done.

I'm a mind reader! Disguised remuneration: schemes claiming to avoid the loan charge (Spotlight 49) - GOV.UK

Originally posted by Spotlight 49
                  You should beware of arrangements or schemes which may involve one or more of the following features:

- be marketed from an off-shore location such as Cyprus, Malta or Isle of Man, claiming to avoid the 5 April 2019 loan charge legislation
                  - claim that by entering the scheme, your disguised remuneration loans are paid off
                  - claim that the scheme is not disclosable under the Disclosure Of Tax Avoidance Schemes regime, and may have benefited from a QC opinion,
                  - may have professional marketing material, including a website

Misleading, or concealing information from HMRC may result in criminal prosecution.
                  Just in relation to the "mind reader" comment: I do not (and have not) worked for HMRC, I was not told by HMRC that there was going to be a spotlight (nor did they send me a copy) but the keystroke logger does seem to be working well.
                  Last edited by Iliketax; 10 March 2019, 05:53. Reason: formatting

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
                    While many would agree with some of the tweet stuff including myself, Phil has been doing all sorts of unsung stuff behind the scenes. Don't expect everything to be explicitly communicated though, why tell HMRC what you are doing unless you want them to know.
                    For me, and I suspect many others, his credibility has gone. Many of the original schemes were sold as a way to get around IR35. What he's done is come on here, grab a load of business, realise he can make more money through an offshore scheme and start to flog it. Ironically he blasts the loan charge on twitter despite the fact he will have made a lot of money out of this.

If you're suggesting slagging Mel Stride around 50 times a day is "unsung" stuff then I suggest you have a particularly low standard of hero.

Comment

Well, it doesn't come much plainer than this, the first part of the spotlight notice from HMRC -
                      HMRC is aware of schemes and arrangements that claim to avoid the 2019 loan charge on disguised remuneration. It's HMRC's view that these schemes do not work.
                      Quite honestly, anyone who takes on board the Cyprus scheme on top of all the other stuff that's happened needs locking away for their own safety. IMHO.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X