• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There's a newer version of that Pension guide

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a newer version of that Pension guide

Covers the risks with open years (see last page).

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...g-vs-lc19.html
    Last edited by stonehenge; 12 March 2019, 08:23.

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
    Covers the risks with open years (see last page).

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...g-vs-lc19.html
    So, it a nut shell, using that example:

Your total outstanding loans are £100,000, and your other income in 2018/19 is £50,000.
    You can contribute up to £150,000 to your pension, but you only need to contribute £138,150
    (£150,000 - £11,850) to reduce tax to zero.
    This is the gross figure. For a personal pension, you would pay in £110,520, and the pension
    provider would reclaim the basic rate tax of £27,630 from HMRC.
    You would have to pay £27,630 through self-assessment but, as the pension provider had already
    reclaimed this, the net position is you would not pay any tax at all.
    In contrast, without the pension contibutions, your tax bill would have been £53,100.

Instead of paying a £53,000 tax bill to HMRC - you pay £110,520 into a pension and £27,650 to HMRC? Leaving your pension pot (and total outlay) at £138,150?

Comment

Originally posted by here4beer View Post
      Instead of paying a £53,000 tax bill to HMRC - you pay £110,520 into a pension and £27,650 to HMRC? Leaving your pension pot (and total outlay) at £138,150?
      I think so. Sweet isn't it.

Comment

for those of us with bigger loans than 150 and zero income ....interested in a worked example of this scenario

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
          I think so. Sweet isn't it.
          Hmm. I've been told no by my TA. I'll ask again now I'm a paying client and not just 'fishing for info'.

Does this still count as being settled?

Edit - ah, is there some rule that stops you paying in more than your salary? Ie, i can't be on £11k per year, then stuff £40k into a pension?

Comment

Originally posted by here4beer View Post
            Hmm. I've been told no by my TA. I'll ask again now I'm a paying client and not just 'fishing for info'.

Does this still count as being settled?

Edit - ah, is there some rule that stops you paying in more than your salary? Ie, i can't be on £11k per year, then stuff £40k into a pension?
            It’s loans+salary (net relevant earnings) that you cannot pay more than

Not ”settled” unless all your years are closed- they will still pursue open years

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
              It’s loans+salary (net relevant earnings) that you cannot pay more than

Not ”settled” unless all your years are closed- they will still pursue open years
              I see, that's the key bit of info i was missing. Have a 'like'.

Comment

Would i be elligible for this option, loans between 2009-2015 (all open) with a calculated settlment sum of 30k?

Comment

Originally posted by ric_77 View Post
                  Would i be elligible for this option, loans between 2009-2015 (all open) with a calculated settlment sum of 30k?
                  It's only really for people with closed years because it doesn't stop the underlying enquiry that you have

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
                    It's only really for people with closed years because it doesn't stop the underlying enquiry that you have
                    are you sure.

Someone with open year could well opt for the loan charge, offset it (fully or partially) with a pension contribution, the full loan loan charge would still count as a down payment for the open years.

This is how I understand it although i am far from an expert.

Comment

Working...
                    X