• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trustees for repaying loan (satisfy loancharge)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    My view is that if you repaid the loans the money was ring fenced by the trustees/lenders so that it would find its way back to you, minus fees, then as Iliketax says, it becomes taxable pretty much as soon as that ring fencing happens.

The OP says that he is advised that HMRC will tax it only when it becomes available.

I have to say that on general principles I would not agree with that position.

I think HMRC will try to tax it as soon as it becomes apparent that it is ring fenced/earmarked and that I see nothing in the brief description given that would enable such a view to be incorrect.
    If thats the case then its pretty disingenuous for HMRC and Stride to say that repaying the loans ( and not getting the money back by any devious means) avoids the loan charge.

Who is the OP?

Comment

Originally posted by Calmbeforethestorm View Post
      If thats the case then its pretty disingenuous for HMRC and Stride to say that repaying the loans ( and not getting the money back by any devious means) avoids the loan charge.
      It's an inside a joke.

HMRC: You claim the loans are genuine loans?
      Taxpayer: Yes.
      HMRC: Like a mortgage or car loan?
      Taxpayer: Erm, yes.
      HMRC: In that case, you have the option to repay them and avoid the charge. However, just like with a mortgage or car loan, once you've payed them back, the money should be gone forever.

Comment

Who is the OP?
        What?

HMRC and Stride don't explain the whole truth?

Who would have thought that?
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
          It's an inside a joke.

HMRC: You claim the loans are genuine loans?
          Taxpayer: Yes.
          HMRC: Like a mortgage or car loan?
          Taxpayer: Erm, yes.
          HMRC: In that case, you have the option to repay them and avoid the charge. However, just like with a mortgage or car loan, once you've payed them back, the money should be gone forever.
          Seems you hit on the basis for the LC, if the money was put into a trust for you specifically instead of wages.

However, what if your benevolent employer simply set up a fund for lending money to employees.... then after paying back you could borrow it again could you not.OR have it as remuneration paying tax at the due rate at the time?

OR what if your employer put a sum in for you which you were taxed on at the time. Said sum was then invested by the Trust and grew over a period of time, then you were to borrow some....would this be a LC loan as the growth element was never remuneration at all and the original contribution was taxed?

Comment

Seems you hit on the basis for the LC, if the money was put into a trust for you specifically instead of wages.

However, what if your benevolent employer simply set up a fund for lending money to employees.... then after paying back you could borrow it again could you not.OR have it as remuneration paying tax at the due rate at the time?

OR what if your employer put a sum in for you which you were taxed on at the time. Said sum was then invested by the Trust and grew over a period of time, then you were to borrow some....would this be a LC loan as the growth element was never remuneration at all and the original contribution was taxed?
            One for the experts.

Comment

Not for me.

Not interested in speculating on potential tax planning ideas.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

And I for one would point and laugh at anyone getting caught by HMRC on that one.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                X