• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Likelihood of Loan Charge postponment or amendment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Likelihood of Loan Charge postponment or amendment?

Given the recent Press and MP involvement in the Loan Charge that detail the impact it is having on individuals. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on the likelihood the Loan Charge being postponed or amended? My view is that nothing will stop or change the Loan Charge, and this is simply the first in a number of measures by HMRC to retrospectively tax those that are unable to defend themselves. Where they go next is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be shocked to see IR35 and expenses claims investigated!

Originally posted by Simon100 View Post
    Given the recent Press and MP involvement in the Loan Charge that detail the impact it is having on individuals. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on the likelihood the Loan Charge being postponed or amended? My view is that nothing will stop or change the Loan Charge, and this is simply the first in a number of measures by HMRC to retrospectively tax those that are unable to defend themselves. Where they go next is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be shocked to see IR35 and expenses claims investigated!
    By chance I was just reading this tweet. https://twitter.com/loanchargeAPPG/s...29264673296384

It says HMRC have no plans to change LC and there are only two weeks left - I can't see anything changing.

Comment

I wonder how many people would have settled if the LC wasn’t looming. In my view it was first and foremost a means to ensure that contractors were forced into settlement, as a cheaper alternative to paying the LC. That said, I just can’t see it being postponed or removed. Where IR35 is concerned, the new reforms will mean less effort on HMRC’s part in terms of investigation. IMO the beginning of the end for IT contracting - who wants to be classed as an employee - with zero employment benefits / rights???

Comment

Working...
      X