Loan charge review - report and outcome Loan charge review - report and outcome - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 41 to 47 of 47
  1. #41

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    It’s pretty shocking to see people exploiting human tragedy in order to gain personal financial advantage, but then again people who get into such blatant overt tax “avoidance” probably don’t have strong moral compass.

    HMRC says 40k people affected, my guess here it is 90% males aged 30-59: annual suicide rate for that group in the UK is around 20 per year per 100k (source: Suicide in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia )

    It therefore follows that on average the affected group should have had around 8 suicides per year or around 24 in the time period since LC19 was announced, which is 12 times higher than your reported figures.

    Nobody should be contemplating suicide for any reason, especially over money debts - LC19 does not cancel bankrupcy, it’s not medieval times now.

    Sad, pathetic and utterly clueless. One for the ignore list.

  2. #42

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dammit chloe View Post
    Sad, pathetic and utterly clueless. One for the ignore list.
    CUK in this form has been around since 2005. There were 2 earlier versions. In 2005/2006 there were two posters with obvious issues. AndyW and the one above. AndyW was banned. AtW did not.

    I suppose it is because AtW has an amazing company, employs several, is regularly in the papers and has met the queen a couple of times for services to industry.

    Back in 2008 when retrospective tax properly started, the professional forums were not the safe space they were a year ago. Myself and DonkeyRhubarb fought hard to get people together. The merciless attacks by trolls, and AtW was one of the most prolific, were awful. A few years ago the professional forums were clearly up following a huge effort by admin and cojak.

    I hope we are not going to regress 10 years?

  3. #43

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMirror View Post
    CUK in this form has been around since 2005. There were 2 earlier versions. In 2005/2006 there were two posters with obvious issues. AndyW and the one above. AndyW was banned. AtW did not.

    I suppose it is because AtW has an amazing company, employs several, is regularly in the papers and has met the queen a couple of times for services to industry.

    Back in 2008 when retrospective tax properly started, the professional forums were not the safe space they were a year ago. Myself and DonkeyRhubarb fought hard to get people together. The merciless attacks by trolls, and AtW was one of the most prolific, were awful. A few years ago the professional forums were clearly up following a huge effort by admin and cojak.

    I hope we are not going to regress 10 years?
    DonkeyRhubard - that's a blast from the past! I hope his group's BN66 case is progressing well and wish them the best of luck.

  4. #44

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    ......
    You sir are a complete and utter moron...

    If you read the medical literature there is a clear relationship between debt (in young males) and self-harm/suicide. Ergo this can and there is likely an increase of depression/self-harm/attempted suicide in men due to the draconian retrospective tax law.

    100,000 people in problem debt attempt suicide every year - Money and Mental Health Policy Institute (MMHPI) Read more at: 100,000 people in problem debt attempt suicide every year, charity claims

    Austerity a factor in rising suicide rate among UK men – study
    Austerity a factor in rising suicide rate among UK men – study | Society | The Guardian

    Suicide and the 2008 economic recession: Who is most at risk? Trends in suicide rates in England and Wales 2001–2011
    Suicide Mortality Patterns in Greek Work Force before and during the Economic Crisis
    Why are suicide rates rising in young men but falling in the elderly?-- a time-series analysis of trends in England and Wales 1950-1998. - PubMed - NCBI

    HMRC reports itself to police watchdog over taxpayer’s suicide
    https://www.ft.com/content/b5c2b6e2-...1-8d9ef1626294

    I am sure sitting on your moral high-horse and gloating over the tragedies is giving your ego a massage.
    Last edited by sst2019; 3rd April 2019 at 13:18.

  5. #45

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,077

    Default

    I do not expect AtW to return to this forum.

  6. #46

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    14

    Default APPG report - some of the key argument has been missed?

    It's generally a weighty, majestic document that should occasion a 'mushroom cloud' of despair over all HMRC offices! However, I am somewhat confused by the omission, within the 'Key Recommendations' towards the close of the document, of any reference to the 2019 Loan Charge taking effect only from the date of the Finance Bill 2017 enactment date. This was a key 'proposition' repeatedly cited by Sir Ed and others and, most importantly, an entirely credible argument to table. Hmmmmm.......

  7. #47

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Specsgalore View Post
    It's generally a weighty, majestic document that should occasion a 'mushroom cloud' of despair over all HMRC offices! However, I am somewhat confused by the omission, within the 'Key Recommendations' towards the close of the document, of any reference to the 2019 Loan Charge taking effect only from the date of the Finance Bill 2017 enactment date. This was a key 'proposition' repeatedly cited by Sir Ed and others and, most importantly, an entirely credible argument to table. Hmmmmm.......
    Yes it is missing it is quoted in reference but not in recommendation. I don't know why as I am not privy.

    I would say that if you look at the recommendations it looks like they are proposing practical recommendations within the TMA1970 protections to provide a solution that allows closure of both LC and underlying tax issues on a voluntary basis.

    Added together, IMO, it comes close to the same thing.

    I know some may disagree.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •