• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Introduction of the 2019 Loan Charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
    My understanding is you have until about August to decide if you want to settle, if you're enquired and received a pack back.
    If they've provided you with settlement figures its 5th April, basically it's only beyond 5th April if they have failed to provide you with figures, you can't chose to delay beyond 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
      If they've provided you with settlement figures its 5th April, basically it's only beyond 5th April if they have failed to provide you with figures, you can't chose to delay beyond 5th.
      Unless the 30 days (or whatever they give you to respond) from the date of their settlement offer letter is after 5th April I assume...

Comment

[QUOTE=dangermaus;2635947]Unless the 30 days (or whatever they give you to respond) from the date of their settlement offer letter is after 5th April I assume...[/QUOTE

What about if you have received settlement pack a few months ago,but did not reply back within 30 days of receiving pack...and am now starting to panic and may fill in forms by the 5th April to settle...any thoughts on if they would accept this...I rang a.person at HMRC today and they were unclear if I would be excluded from Loan charge.

Comment

[QUOTE=mrs t;2636019]
          Originally posted by dangermaus View Post
          Unless the 30 days (or whatever they give you to respond) from the date of their settlement offer letter is after 5th April I assume...[/QUOTE

What about if you have received settlement pack a few months ago,but did not reply back within 30 days of receiving pack...and am now starting to panic and may fill in forms by the 5th April to settle...any thoughts on if they would accept this...I rang a.person at HMRC today and they were unclear if I would be excluded from Loan charge.
          What do you mean by unclear? Did they say yes or no in answer to the simple question?

Comment

I think realistically if they know you’re planning on settlement they will allow extra time, especially where it’s the revenue that may have created a delay. It may just be an administration change to the signed contracts if they do not receive this part until after 5/4. The wording would need to be slightly changed .... but the agreed settlement figure will stay the same

Comment

The person at HMRC said they could not guarantee that I would be excluded from the loan charge taking effect from the 5th..as I had not accepted the settlement within 30 days of receiving it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs t View Post
                The person at HMRC said they could not guarantee that I would be excluded from the loan charge taking effect from the 5th..as I had not accepted the settlement within 30 days of receiving it.
                Well that's hardly giving you a compelling reason to settle then! I presume that you will need to re-request the settlement pack as you didn't respond to the first one within 30 days. I'm sure they would rather you settle than not settle.

Once you sign the settlement contract that's it. You have agreed that you owe them the money and are contractually obliged to pay it. To have to pay the loan charge as well would be ludicrous.

Definitely one to take advice on.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
                  Received my pack two months ago and have done nothing with it other than opening it, so full of holes I can't be arsed with the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon100 View Post
                    On Thursday 4 April parliment is scheduled to debate a motion relating to the introduction of the 2019 Loan Charge. See link below for details.

Introduction of the 2019 Loan Charge - Commons Library briefing - UK Parliament
                    General debate on the introduction of the 2019 loan charge - News from Parliament - UK Parliament

Comment

Originally posted by Simon100 View Post
                      On Thursday 4 April parliment is scheduled to debate a motion relating to the introduction of the 2019 Loan Charge. See link below for details.

Introduction of the 2019 Loan Charge - Commons Library briefing - UK Parliament
                      Anybody have any news on this yet ?

Comment

Working...
                      X