• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CALL TO ACTION: Loan Charge debate on Thursday the 11th

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its fairly well known on CUK that I am a friend of Matt O'Connor (activist) - Wikipedia - there were a few pages about me in his 2007 book and we keep in touch.

He has fought courts, government, police, church and state. And obtained a law change.

In 2017 I told him about HMRC. He told me to emigrate. I will confess I got very angry and called him some very rude names. But I was playing shoot the messenger (like quite a few here do towards Graham and Phil). He is right.

LCAG are doing an amazing job. The barrier is very high. I hope LCAG will not take this post as criticism - more as motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      He told me to emigrate.
      Yep, know a few people who've done that. Just need to pick a country where HMRC has little or no effective reach.

Not that hard. HMRC like low hanging fruit ie. UK residents or EU where they have MARD.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
        Yep, know a few people who've done that. Just need to pick a country where HMRC has little or no effective reach.

Not that hard. HMRC like low hanging fruit ie. UK residents or EU where they have MARD.
        Cyprus is good!

Comment

Cyprus is good!
          Aye, nice weather too, friendly people, English widely spoken, low cost of living, affordable property, even drive on the left. Not that I've been doing any research mind.

Comment

Cyprus is good!
            Also a good place to peddle new schemes from it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
              Also a good place to peddle new schemes from it would seem.
              Not since 6th April.

So now we will see the outcome.

I predict Insella will be the new TAA.

Comment

Insella
                Do you know if many people signed up before the 5 April cutoff?

I had a quick look at the FAQs on the website.

It sounds like it somehow pays off the loans. Without giving too much away, any idea how it achieves this?

Comment

It sounds like it somehow pays off the loans. Without giving too much away, any idea how it achieves this?
                  In the immortal words of Admiral Akbar, it's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
                    In the immortal words of Admiral Akbar, it's a trap.
                    Looks like HMRC are already on to it.

Disguised remuneration: schemes claiming to avoid the loan charge (Spotlight 49) - GOV.UK

• be marketed from an off-shore location such as Cyprus, Malta or Isle of Man, claiming to avoid the 5 April 2019 loan charge legislation
                    • claim that by entering the scheme, your disguised remuneration loans are paid off
                    • claim that the scheme is not disclosable under the Disclosure Of Tax Avoidance Schemes regime, and may have benefited from a QC opinion
                    • may have professional marketing material, including a website

Comment

I know none of the details.

Comment

Working...
                      X