• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC CTD (Certificate of Tax Deposit) Reimbursement Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC CTD (Certificate of Tax Deposit) Reimbursement Question

Hi all,

Having been involved in the "contractor loans" HMRC enquiries for many years, I followed the "best practice" advice and took out a Certificate of Tax Deposit (CTD) with HMRC many years ago.

Apparently, while you hold a CTD with HMRC, it is supposed to stop interest accruing while an amount of tax is in dispute. I did the following:
    • Nov-15: Purchased a CTD for £60,000
    • Apr-17: Made a partial withdrawal of £30,000 (new CTD value: £30,000).
    • (present): Still hold £30,000 CTD

As part of registering my interest to settle with HMRC (as part of CLSO2), I nominated that I'd like to offset the interest due with the CTD that I've held.

However, in returning the calculations, they only applied £30,000 across the whole period. i.e.
    • Nov-15 - (present): £30,000

Instead of:
    • Nov-15 - Apr-17: £60,000
    • Apr-17 - (present): £30,000

I wrote back and (after a 3 month delay) they just re-sent the same thing back to me. Does anyone know which of the two calculations above is correct?

Originally posted by shevlane View Post
    Does anyone know which of the two calculations above is correct?
    Unfortunately, if you withdraw a CTD, I believe you lose the benefit of ever having it.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
      Unfortunately, if you withdraw a CTD, I believe you lose the benefit of ever having it.
      That would make sense, but I still hold it.

Comment

Originally posted by shevlane View Post
        That would make sense, but I still hold it.
        I presume they are treating the CTD as only ever having held £30k as you withdrew £30k and so lost the benefit of ever having that in the CTD

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
          I presume they are treating the CTD as only ever having held £30k as you withdrew £30k and so lost the benefit of ever having that in the CTD
          Yes, that's what I meant.

Comment

I think the HMRC position is correct.

You only ever used £30k against the tax bills and not the £60k.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
            X