• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating a settlement with Hmrc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiating a settlement with Hmrc

I have just received an updated self assessment tax return for 2003/04 & 2004/05 after withdrawing my appeal that includes £20k interest. Has anyone had any success negotiating a settlement with HMRC to not pay the full amount of interest??

Originally posted by Harry1 View Post
    I have just received an updated self assessment tax return for 2003/04 & 2004/05 after withdrawing my appeal that includes £20k interest. Has anyone had any success negotiating a settlement with HMRC to not pay the full amount of interest??
    Yes. Someone from MP got 5 years to pay. No interest, no penalties. Anything else would have been bankruptcy.

You really need an adviser though - I will PM you a contact.

Comment

PM rights granted.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Yes. Someone from MP got 5 years to pay. No interest, no penalties. Anything else would have been bankruptcy.

Hi can you pm me the contact too?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

What's MP? I'm told there is no negotiating. You simply pay what 'you owe' if you chose to settle?

Comment

Originally posted by here4beer View Post
            What's MP? I'm told there is no negotiating. You simply pay what 'you owe' if you chose to settle?
            Montpelier.

If you have the money there is no negotiating. HMRC will sometimes settle for something rather than bankruptcy - even if it means paying over 40+ years.

I have not heard of anyone doing that on their own.

Comment

Hi BrilloPad, I'm someone in a complete mess re Montpelier and could very much do with a good adviser quite urgently, is there any chance you can also PM me the details too please? I have only just signed on to the forum and don't appear to have the option to send anything direct to you yet, so hope you see this. Much appreciated if you can help.

Comment

Not wanting to put the frighteners on anyone - I have a liability from 4 years on Monpelier of well over £100k (including interest). After reaching the end of the road with the Follower Notices, I chose to take 'corrective action'.

With the help of an advisor, this began with my appeals being withdrawn and me submitting income & expenditure statements to HMRC. This seemed to be proceeding as expected with HMRC asking me to make a time-to-pay proposal, which my advisor did (it took all my disposable income) and which would clear the amount owing in about 2 years.

No response was ever received to this proposal and under a week later I had a field-force officer knocking on my door.

In response to this, I submitted a revised proposal enabled by borrowing from close family, which would clear the amount owing in about 1 year.

Again no response was ever received and within a week or so field-force were back at my door demanding immediate and full payment.

I have now made an official complaint naming those involved, which I’m hoping with go some way to getting an agreement in place.

If people really have manged to agree time-to-pay over extended periods, I’d be really interested to know the details.

Comment

Send details to LCAG so they can give more damaging evidence about HM to the review

Comment

Originally posted by BledOut View Post
                    Hi BrilloPad, I'm someone in a complete mess re Montpelier and could very much do with a good adviser quite urgently, is there any chance you can also PM me the details too please? I have only just signed on to the forum and don't appear to have the option to send anything direct to you yet, so hope you see this. Much appreciated if you can help.
                    Please grant PM rights.

Comment

Working...
                    X