• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DSW Tax Resolutions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Phil does not visit CUK often but I do. If anyone is having issues please PM me and I will try to help. I know where Phil lives......
    Sorry - what is this all about? You know where Phil lives? And.....? So what exactly is your relationship - friend / colleague?

So you must be in Portugal as well then?
    Last edited by Boodog; 11 June 2019, 17:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Boodog View Post
      So what’s the deal with Robert Venables (QC) - so he has been in cahoots with Phil re Insella, but is also leading the Judicial Review for LCAG - what a wicked web we weave.....
      There are very few tax QCs to choose from unfortunately. Most at some point will have advised/consulted on schemes so the same names will crop up everywhere.

My understanding is that he is the best there is for this type of case. Whatcha gonna do.?

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
        There are very few tax QCs to choose from unfortunately. Most at some point will have advised/consulted on schemes so the same names will crop up everywhere.

My understanding is that he is the best there is for this type of case. Whatcha gonna do.?
        Really? Is that what LCAG members have to settle with - ‘Whatcha gonna do?’ The fact that Venables has got involved with Insella right in the middle of the fight against the Loan Charge, should surely ring alarm bells - i.e. not just ‘at some point’. Would be interested to hear LCAG’s view on this.

Comment

Really? Is that what LCAG members have to settle with - ‘Whatcha gonna do?’ The fact that Venables has got involved with Insella right in the middle of the fight against the Loan Charge, should surely ring alarm bells - i.e. not just ‘at some point’. Would be interested to hear LCAG’s view on this.
          You have pretty much just heard it. Since you are so dismissive of LCAG, why would you care? Those in LCAG and/or the JR have the info.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
            You have pretty much just heard it. Since you are so dismissive of LCAG, why would you care? Those in LCAG and/or the JR have the info.
            I care about the people - real people - that have been burned by these schemes. Including myself. I wish LCAG all the best, but they haven’t measured up so far. Whatever info you have, I hope it is enough to make a difference.

Comment

I care about the people - real people - that have been burned by these schemes. Including myself. I wish LCAG all the best, but they haven’t measured up so far. Whatever info you have, I hope it is enough to make a difference.
              Hopefully you will have noticed that at the APPG today testimony was heard from LCAG volunteers who run the helpline that offers people a lifeline. It has saved lives. I think LCAG help real people. Something HMRC have refused to do.

I understand now that you have been through the mill on this yourself but there is no simple, guarantee of success, especially against such intransigence. All LCAG members are doing the best they can given the circumstances.

Comment

LCAG have done an incredible job to get as far as they have. Only one issue - they are way too polite. They could go further.

I suspect even if Philip Hammond was made to withdraw the loan charge and was whipped naked through Westminster you would still be unhappy.

The issue is that to get LC withdrawn requires revolution.

Comment

If anyone is having trouble with pmtaxc then please send me a PM. I might be able to help.

Sadly there are a few who want the moon on a stick and prefer to whine and moan. Typically, they would prefer that the LC stayed rather than it being abolished and they get no credit. Its really sad.

Big up to WTT/Webberg too. Done an incredible job and only received abuse in return.

Comment

So what’s the deal with Robert Venables (QC) - so he has been in cahoots with Phil re Insella, but is also leading the Judicial Review for LCAG - what a wicked web we weave.....
                    Ah, so Robert Venables (QC)'s name has cropped up again, has it? I did wonder how long before he made a (re)appearance...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post1951410

Any trust in Phil and PMTC has gone straight done the tubes.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I see that WTT and I have been mentioned above.

There are two points raised.

The first is that the poster has received a poor and unresponsive service from WTT (and others) and by extension will treat others the same.

The second is that having somehow used the forum to generate business, we are now less involved and less active as the commercial incentive has reduced.

On the first issue, without knowing who the poster is, it is impossible to make a response on an individual basis and even if I did know, not only would I not do so on a public forum (respecting the client/agent confidentiality) but I suggest that the experience is a long way from typical. We are not perfect but the pattern described is extremely unusual.

I would invite the poster to PM me with a name/contact details and I'll be in touch.

On the second, I would entirely refute any suggestion that we have withdrawn from the forum. Any objective analysis of our posts, responses, PM traffic and articles submitted to this website would stand equal to or better than most.

In the run up to the loan charge deadline, there were a large number of active issues in which we participated. Quite correctly however the loan charge and the actions of LCAG were prominent and we judged that it was better for that group and its supporters (in which we are included) to have as clear a field as possible. We therefore focused elsewhere.

Post the loan charge deadline, the whole forum has been less active the crossroads created by that tax charge has pretty much forced people into settle or fight - a decision and consequences we have been very vocal on. Our focus has been on "fight".

For obvious reasons, we are not going to reveal here the details of that fight. It is an unfortunate fact for us that whilst we would expect HMRC to be interested in what we are doing, ignorant criticism from other quarters was an unwelcome distraction.

It's perfectly acceptable to have a view on a plan or strategy that you understand and have applied some technical knowledge to. We are often responding to such views outside the forum as usually these exchanges add something. We choose not to respond, publicly or privately, to views that have little technical integrity or which are based on an incomplete understanding of what we are doing. That is true of this forum and other platforms.

Since the 5th April we have been working on our litigation process. Again, we are not sharing details of that here.

We have also been looking to the future and the options we can offer existing and hopefully new clients. This website has rules about advertising. We have always respected those rules, often seeking permission to post certain items before doing so. Some of those ideas have appeared in the paid for advertising in this website. Some elsewhere.

We cannot please all the people all the time. However, I hope the above is useful.
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X