• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan Charge. What should I do.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loan Charge. What should I do.

I am new to this forum, I have just received my counter avoidance settlement letter from HMRC. It is a significant amount of money but I can afford to pay it. On all the years I received loans I was also employed and paid the maximum tax rate. The loans were put into a fund for my children's inheritance and my early retirement so were essentially untouched. Would I be better off paying the loan charge as this doesn't seem to attract interest and the tax rate will be much the same?

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you

I don't think you have any alternative.

Comment

Just do the arithmetic - it's not that difficult.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Retrospective View Post
        I am new to this forum, I have just received my counter avoidance settlement letter from HMRC. It is a significant amount of money but I can afford to pay it. On all the years I received loans I was also employed and paid the maximum tax rate. The loans were put into a fund for my children's inheritance and my early retirement so were essentially untouched. Would I be better off paying the loan charge as this doesn't seem to attract interest and the tax rate will be much the same?

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you
        Paying the loan charge doesn’t settle your tax affairs - they could still come after you for the interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Boodog View Post
          Paying the loan charge doesn’t settle your tax affairs - they could still come after you for the interest.
          Very goods point. Well worth getting an adviser.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Very goods point. Well worth getting an adviser.
            Personally, if all the years are open then I would settle, especially since you can afford to. Otherwise the interest charge could end up being more in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Boodog View Post
              Personally, if all the years are open then I would settle, especially since you can afford to. Otherwise the interest charge could end up being more in the long run.
              Agree with this. As keeps being said, paying the loan charge doesn't settle any open underlying tax enquiries. The alternative to settling is to fight. Once you settle, it is final. You will not get your money back regardless of what happens with the loan charge.

Perhaps join Big Group (not sure what their plans are as not part of that group due to having no open years). I know several people with open years who are part of Big Group.

Also you could join LCAG - they exist with the sole aim of fighting the loan charge. However, there are people in a mixture of situations who are members (open/closed years combos etc). There is a forum where you can post questions and read other ongoing discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                Agree with this. As keeps being said, paying the loan charge doesn't settle any open underlying tax enquiries. The alternative to settling is to fight. Once you settle, it is final. You will not get your money back regardless of what happens with the loan charge.

Perhaps join Big Group (not sure what their plans are as not part of that group due to having no open years). I know several people with open years who are part of Big Group.

Also you could join LCAG - they exist with the sole aim of fighting the loan charge. However, there are people in a mixture of situations who are members (open/closed years combos etc). There is a forum where you can post questions and read other ongoing discussions.
                I think it’s only worth joining LCAG if you have closed years, but their success rate so far isn’t good, even with significant MP backing and H of P debates - happy to be corrected here.

I doubt Big Group will be transparent on this forum as to what their plans are. Presumably, if you don’t settle open years and decide to fight, then you will have to contest that the loan charge doesn’t apply and be confident that the scheme in which you participated was legitimate - again, happy to be corrected!

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post

Big Group has been mentioned and I'll respond.

We plan to litigate. We have two schemes on the brink and more waiting.

Because the loan charge is now with us, we have developed a position on that as well. This is an extension of our core strategy and is complementary to what we are trying to achieve.

If you have open years then unless you settle, you need a strategy. I have no doubt that post whatever date the settlement period is finally closed, those with open enquires will get a nice closure notice from HMRC along with an invitation to contest it in Tribunal.

Doing that on your own is an expensive and scary ride.

I have little doubt that those with closed years but exposure to the loan charge will get increasingly urgent reminders and eventually assessments/statements and demands for the money. These will be pursued with the usual vigour by Debt Management.

Resisting that on your own is an expensive and scary ride.

I hope LCAG is successful. That will remove one layer of the equation.

I think though that whether you have open or closed years, unless you settle you need to prepare.

Burying your head in the sand is not a strategy.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                    Big Group has been mentioned and I'll respond.

We plan to litigate. We have two schemes on the brink and more waiting.
                    Can you clarify what you mean by ‘on the brink’ - i.e. do you have an actual court date for these two schemes. Can you disclose which schemes these are?

Comment

Working...
                    X