• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The new THL??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new THL??

got this today.

I have settled fully with HMRC and paid up last month....

Vultures still out there, though..... to be ignored?

"
    You previously participated in a contractor loans tax avoidance scheme. Whether you realise it or not, you have outstanding actions. You will be in one of the following positions:

(1) You believe you settled with HMRC many years ago and have not engaged with the Loan Charge
    (2) You registered to settle with HMRC under CLSO2 but you haven't received your settlement pack
    (3) You've received your settlement pack but haven't decided what to do
    (4) You've settled with HMRC using CLSO2
    (5) You intend to pay the Loan Charge.

In some cases, a combination of the above will apply across different tax years.

Whichever of the above positions you are in, you do have outstanding loans from one or more contractor loan avoidance scheme trusts, and need to decide what to do about them. Doing nothing could result in interest charges, demands for repayment, the invalidation of HMRC settlement agreements or charges for inheritance tax.

Remember, paying your tax does not change the status of the loans. This is true whether you paid an APN, are using the settlement opportunity or are intending to pay the Loan Charge.

Even if you're in the first group above, you will still need to declare outstanding loans to HMRC. We can provide you with the necessary information.

Permanently resolving the loan problem
    I am the director of DOR Resolutions Ltd, a UK-based company. I set up DORR to help your trustees to communicate with you about the loans and to bring matters to a conclusion. My team and I will handle any enquiries you might have about the loans. It is also DORR's responsibility to help the trustees to close their trusts down. The trustees have ongoing costs which they intend to collect from those who take no action.

There are several options that might be of interest to you. These are:

(a) Repay your loans in full now
    (b) Be released from your loans now
    (c) Negotiate a lower payment to HMRC

The rest of this email describes these options in more detail. There is also more information on DORR's web site. If you'd like to see a statement of your loans, DORR has set up an on-line loan statement platform and you can sign in here. Please keep this link private because it contains part of the key to accessing your financial information.

Repayment Options
    Remember, whether you paid all your tax has no bearing on whether the loans are outstanding, even if you paid your tax a long time ago. HMRC might treat a loan as if it were income, but even so, it remains a loan. Unless you repaid your loans, which the trustee's records show that you haven't, then the loans are still outstanding.

If you're presently settling your use of contractor loans schemes with HMRC, or if you recently settled, HMRC may require you to arrange to be released from your loans. HMRC say you must do this within 30 days of reaching settlement because of the need to avoid inheritance tax charges. This forces you into option (b) above and restricts how long you can take. Whether you are settling with HMRC or not, your loans are outstanding and you still need to decide what to do about them.

Repay your loans in full
    If you repay the loans in full, you will receive from the trustees a deed of exclusion and debt settlement (“DOEDS”), which evidences that you no longer have any obligations to the trust(s). You can review a draft deed using our on-line loan statement platform. The deed will give you finality and legal certainty over your relationship with the trustees. You will know that you can never be charged interest or face an inheritance tax charge, years later. This option is likely to be of interest if your outstanding loan is small. To find out how much is outstanding, sign in here

Be released from your loans
    The trustees are aware that not everyone will be able to repay their loans in full, and are prepared to write off (or “release”) 94% of the total. You would need to repay the remaining 6% of the loans. You can spread the repayment over three, six or twelve monthly instalments but there is 16.7% discount available if you pay all at once. The discount reflects the reduced administration costs for the trustees and means you repay only 5%, with the trustees releasing the remaining 95%. To find out what this would cost, sign in here.

When the trustees release you from the loans, they will sign a deed of exclusion and release (“DOER”). The DOER satisfies HMRC’s requirement that those settling arrange to be released from the loans. HMRC will only require you to arrange this after reaching settlement, not before, but you can arrange it at any time. You can review a draft deed using our on-line loan statement platform. Once both you and the trustees have signed, your accounts will be closed, we will hand our records back to the trustees, and you will have no further obligations to the trusts.

You can still choose to obtain a DOER, even if you have not agreed a settlement with HMRC.

If you choose to be released from your loans, whether in a single payment or using a repayment plan, DOR Resolutions Ltd charges an administration fee of £ 250 per trust. This covers our costs, including the legal advice we have taken, drafting your deeds and providing your statement. You pay this fee first. We do not provide tax advice, so you should consult a tax adviser before deciding what to do. We do not make payments to HMRC on your behalf.

Trustees are asking for a partial repayment now because there are ongoing costs that the trustees must cover in order to manage the trusts. By exiting the arrangement now, you ensure that there is no legal basis to collect further repayments from you in future.

If you do nothing, the trustees might start to charge you interest and could take legal steps to recover the debt. They could be forced by a court to do this. You might become liable for inheritance tax at a later date. This might happen on the ten-year anniversary of the establishment of the trust, or if the trust closes, for example.

Negotiate a lower payment to HMRC
    There is a potential option if you can’t afford to pay. But this option is only available to those in genuine difficulty. It requires that you engage an advisor, which we will help you with. It does not require bankruptcy and means you will only have to pay your creditors, including and trusts and HMRC, what you can reasonably afford to pay.

You may be in a powerful position to negotiate a lower figure with HMRC. If your adviser recommends this option to you, you should end up paying HMRC only as much as you can afford, yet still legally discharge the debt. And, you could typically have up to five years to pay. The total you would pay to discharge all your unsecured debts, including the trust loans, and all associated costs, could be substantially less than you currently owe to HMRC. This option is known as an Individual Voluntary Arrangement. It is likely to be most useful to those with low asset values and outstanding tax bills that are less than one third of the amount owed to the trust(s). We might still be able to help you even if this doesn't apply, but negotiating the agreement with HMRC could be harder. This option is not for the faint of heart, however, and could affect your credit rating. Your adviser will explain what it involves.

To explore an Individual Voluntary Arrangement, sign in to our on-line statement platform and indicate that you can't afford the other options.

If you're worried and need help
    Don't let this get you down. Support is available. The Loan Charge Action Group is a volunteer-led organisation with members just like you. Over a hundred MPs are also helping people in your situation and are taking action in Parliament. Citizen's Advice and The Samaritans can also help if HMRC's demands, and the content of this letter, are getting on top of you. We have started to donate to The Samaritans regularly.

I'd like to reassure you that although you're bound to face further costs with all this, DOR Resolutions and the trustees to whom your loans are owed are trying hard to keep these costs to a minimum and to find legal ways to reduce the impact of the retrospective loan charge legislation. That said, it's important to accept that the tax itself cannot be avoided. Don't be tempted to engage in further tax avoidance. Be wary of anyone charging you a monthly fee and recommending that you delay dealing with either the tax or the loans. Whatever approach you take, you need to make sure you're acting within both the letter and the spirit of the law. The three options contained in this letter all do that.

The importance of tax advice
    Finally, I must stress the importance of obtaining sound, independent tax advice. DORR doesn't give tax advice and this email doesn't constitute tax advice. You're free to use any firm you choose, but Templeton Brook are familiar with the situation and have handled similar cases to yours before.

Good luck and best wishes.

Andrew Thompson
    Director
    DOR Resolutions Limited
    DOR Resolutions Limited is a limited company registered in England And Wales. Registered number: 11910189. Registered address: 2 Kenilworth Road, Crosby, Liverpool, L23 3AD."

DOR at it again

Got this also.
    Director details:
    Andrew William THOMPSON - Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)

Comment

Received same email

I received the same email from DOR Resolutions. Like the emails from THL before them, I have decided to completely ignore all such attempts to extract yet more money from me.

I am in the process of settling with HMRC (currently awaiting final details on how to pay).

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know for sure if the loan agreements I originally signed are enforceable or not; however I suspect that if the Trust was sure they could enforce them, they wouldn't need to hide behind all this arms-length "company working on behalf of" nonsense.

When the agreements were signed, there was a clear understanding (admittedly never written down) that the loans would never need to be repaid. If it ever comes to it, all I can do is try to defend my position in court. Until that happens, I won't be responding to any communications from the Trust or from anyone claiming to represent them. I am not in a position to advise anybody on any of this, I'm just letting you know what I'm doing.

Comment

Please note, Kemp House, 152-160 City Road, London, England, EC1V 2NX the address on the Incorporation Certificate is another virtual address:

Mail Forwarding Addresses in London from GBP7.70 | Capital Office

DOR Resolution Ltd was incorporated a couple of weeks ago.

The director Andrew William Thompson is also the director of 11 other companies, including IQ Contractor Solutions Ltd and Winchester Contractor Solutions Ltd (all UK), incestuous to say the least.

An IOM entity of the same name also exists, https://opencorporates.com/companies/im/016055V. Previously THL would have chased up the loans and the payment would have been made to DOR Resolution (IOM) so that it was outside UK mainland taxation. It will be interesting to see who DOR Resolution Ltd (UK) utilise for the 5% payments in order to ensure that most of it ends up with them. I have probably answered my question here. DORR UK chase up, and DORR IOM get paid. This would align with the fact that the Nature of business for DORR UK declared with companies house is purely office administrative and NOT financial.

Do not fall for it people.
        Last edited by hudson; 13 June 2019, 11:28.

Comment

How are HMRC not all over this guy? Ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by QueasyRider View Post
            I received the same email from DOR Resolutions. Like the emails from THL before them, I have decided to completely ignore all such attempts to extract yet more money from me.

I am in the process of settling with HMRC (currently awaiting final details on how to pay).

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know for sure if the loan agreements I originally signed are enforceable or not; however I suspect that if the Trust was sure they could enforce them, they wouldn't need to hide behind all this arms-length "company working on behalf of" nonsense.

When the agreements were signed, there was a clear understanding (admittedly never written down) that the loans would never need to be repaid. If it ever comes to it, all I can do is try to defend my position in court. Until that happens, I won't be responding to any communications from the Trust or from anyone claiming to represent them. I am not in a position to advise anybody on any of this, I'm just letting you know what I'm doing.
            Yep - me too. I'm wondering if a bunch of the guys that worked for Winchester et all ended up taking the contact details for all the contractors on the books at the time. I got a plenty of invitations to join a different scheme over the years after I parted ways with these guys.

I'm in general alignment with whats been said on the board - but will be watching developments on this closely. The whole thing scares the bejeezus out of me and has for a while. Webberg has said on a few threads quite clearly that there is a loan here, and I've not slept all that lightly since. That said I think this guy is a complete chancer. Why would a reputable trust (although I don't know that Baker Tilly are all that reputable) put someone like this in charge of settling? There would be ZERO trust between ex-participants and the scum-bag who sold the product in the first place. Doesn't add up, so that part of the email makes me think that this is not driven from the trust.

Like many I always understood that these loans would never get called in. I mean even if all the regulatory scene had not turned upside down, does that mean 10+ years on we would of been called on to pay these even if HMRC hadn't completely turned over the chessboard? Noooooo... Again it doesn't add up. And finally - any costs around these loans are surely notional? The trust has no need to charge interest on these quasi-fictional loan balances. Whatever upkeep the trust has in terms of filings and paperwork - thats got to be trivial surely?

What I would love to hear from is a Baker Tilly representative - stating what the actual TRUSTEES position is here. Obviously I'm also not going to engage with this chancer and would advise anyone else to do the same - but knowing what the plans are of the actual trustees are would be great - even if it is "we don't know".

Ahh -a last thing, I've got a number of other mates who took up the EBT schemes with different providers - they are not getting these emails. So to me thats just further evidence that this is a guy just trying to milk his final percentage. Scumbag....

Comment

Originally posted by Galvanised View Post
              Why would a reputable trust (although I don't know that Baker Tilly are all that reputable) put someone like this in charge of settling? There would be ZERO trust between ex-participants and the scum-bag who sold the product in the first place. Doesn't add up, so that part of the email makes me think that this is not driven from the trust.....
              Because he will claim that he is representing a different Winchester Contractor Solutions:

Winchester Contracts Ltd IOM -> https://opencorporates.com/companies/im/006913V
              Winchester Contractor Solutions Ltd UK -> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11240448
              Solutions Winchester (UK) Ltd UK -> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11303896

Garraway Consultants Ltd IOM -> https://opencorporates.com/companies/im/005571V
              Garraway Contractors UK Solutions Ltd UK -> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11353966
              Garraway (UK) Solutions Ltd UK-> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11353928

IQ Contracts Limited IOM -> https://opencorporates.com/companies/im/007171V
              IQ Contractor Solutions Ltd UK -> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10584657
              IQ Consulting (UK) Trustco Ltd UK -> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11377741

All the UK entities listed above are currently registered at 2 Kenilworth Road, Crosby, Merseyside L23 3AD, with the incorporation certificates stating the registered address as Kemp House 152- 160 City Road London EC1V 2NX , which is a virtual office serviced by way of an annual charge of £92.50.
              The director for all the above UK entities is a Mr Andrew William Thompson.

There are many other Contractor 'solution' outfits registered at 2 Kenilworth Road, but I don't wish to be verbose. I suspect 2 Kenilworth Road is a rented premises.

So the trustees at Baker Tilly have enlisted the services of some guy operating from a house (previously a virtual office) to contact the loan recipients/scheme users and arrange finality of the loans???

Comment

I have received the same email. It is an open invite to be ripped off. From the way it reads it is full off ifs but know detail.

Another scam.

Comment

Darwin and the 2019 Loan Charge

Got the same email at 17:50 today ... I suggest you DO NOT click on any of the links in the email as it may confirm to them that you have received the email and clicked the link https://ols.dorresolutions.com/accou...1X&bid=214&o=4

Dear Lord F,

Good news: if you're trying to establish how much you owe in connection with your use of the Darwin contractor loans scheme, DOR Resolutions has the data for you. You might need to declare these loans to HMRC under the new Loan Charge rules. Your trustees have hired us to provide you with a statement listing all the amounts you received and the dates you received them. You can access the statement here. We'll provide your statement free of charge.

If you've recently settled your use of this scheme with HMRC you can now have the loans written off. Do this within 30 days of settling to ensure that the existence of the loans can't give rise to an inheritance tax charge years later. Follow this link to find out more. Please note that there is a charge for this service and you will need to make a payment to the trustees before the loans are written off.

If you genuinely can't afford to pay the tax HMRC say you owe, your scheme loan trustees could be very helpful to you. We can refer you to a third party who can help you to negotiate an amount you can afford. Your trustees might be in a position to force HMRC to accept your offer. This can be achieved through something called an Individual Voluntary Arrangement. Let us know you're interested here, and we'll have an adviser call you. There is no commitment at this stage. But be aware: this option is not for the faint-hearted. Talking it through with the adviser will not affect your credit rating, but proceding with the negotiation can. The adviser will explain.

Remember, if you believe you settled your tax years ago, the settlement didn't affect the loans. The loans will still be outstanding, even if you believe HMRC has treated them as income. We can help you resolve the problem here.

If you're worried about your tax bill, or the contents of this email, and need help, we've begun making regular donations to The Samaritans. Almost two hundred MPs are also helping people in your situation and are taking action in Parliament. Citizen's Advice, Tax Aid or Tax Help for Older People are all charitable organisations that might also be able to help you.

The importance of tax advice
                  Finally, I must stress the importance of obtaining sound, independent tax advice. DORR doesn't give tax advice and this email doesn't constitute tax advice. You're free to use any firm you choose, but Templeton Brook are familiar with the situation and have handled similar cases to yours before.

Good luck and best wishes.

Andrew Thompson
                  Director
                  DOR Resolutions Limited
                  DOR Resolutions Limited is a limited company registered in England And Wales. Registered number: 11910189. Registered address: 2 Kenilworth Road, Crosby, Liverpool, L23 3AD.

Comment

Mr Andrew William Thompson

Digging a bit deeper into the background of this new chancer Mr Andrew William Thompson

https://www.icaew.com/-/media/corpor...018.ashx?la=en

APPEAL COMMITTEE PANEL ORDERS
                    6 Mr Andrew William Thompson [ACA]
                    Kenilworth Associates Limited, 2 Kenilworth Road, Blundellsands, Liverpool, L23 3AD.
                    A panel of the Appeal Committee made the decision recorded below having heard an appeal
                    on 16 November 2017
                    Type of Member Member
                    Date of Disciplinary Tribunal Hearing 18 April 2017
                    Date of Appeal Panel Hearing 16 November 2017
                    Terms of complaint found proven before the Disciplinary Tribunal
                    Prior to June 2005, Mr A Thompson ACA, as office holder in five insolvency cases, drew excessive
                    remuneration
                    which subsequently resulted in successful claims against Insolvency Practitioner
                    Licence Bonds as particularised in the following cases:
                    No Case Claim
                    1 Mr ‘A’ £28,384
                    2 Mr ‘C’ £21,335
                    3 Mr ‘B’ £16,015
                    4 Mr ‘D’ £14,981
                    5 ‘E’ Limited £11,095
                    Mr Andrew William Thompson is therefore liable to disciplinary action under Disciplinary Bye-law
                    4.1.a.
                    Disciplinary Bye-law 4.1.a states …in the course of carrying out professional work or otherwise he
                    has committed any act or default likely to bring discredit on himself, the Institute or the profession
                    of accountancy.
                    Decision of Disciplinary Tribunal
                    1. Exclusion
                    2. Costs in the sum of £25,000
                    Appeal against finding? No
                    Appeal against Sentencing order? No
                    Appeal against Costs Yes
                    Decision of Appeal Panel Appeal dismissed.
                    Press Release – 4 January 2018 Page 28 of 31
                    Procedural matters and findings
                    1 The Appellant did not attend. The Investigation Committee was represented by Mr Ian
                    Graham.
                    2 The hearing was in public.
                    3 There were no preliminary applications.
                    Grounds of appeal
                    4 The order for costs should be remitted as the Appellant’s resources prevented him from
                    undertaking any further liabilities.
                    Decision
                    5. The Appeal was dismissed.
                    6. The Appellant shall pay the costs of the Appeal assessed in the sum of £1,250.
                    Reasons for decision
                    7. There was no challenge made by the Appellant to the Disciplinary Committee’s findings
                    of fact or its decision that the appropriate sanction order was one of Exclusion.
                    8. The Appellant also did not seek to challenge the reasonableness of the £25,000 costs
                    order as an amount which had been fairly incurred by the Investigation Committee.
                    9. The appeal was therefore pursued on the sole basis that the Appellant did not have the
                    means to pay the ordered amount of costs or indeed any amount. In addition to his
                    Grounds of Appeal, the Appeal Committee considered all of the documentation made
                    available to it, including a letter dated 24 October 2017 from Mr Ian Cooper, a Consultant
                    to Linskills Solicitors, on the Appellant’s behalf enclosing a Confidential Statement of
                    Financial Circumstances signed by the Appellant on 20 October 2017 and extracts from
                    his tax returns for the years ending 2015 and 2016.
                    10. The Appeal Committee noted that the first page of the Confidential Statement of Financial
                    Circumstances includes the following specific warning, “You should provide information
                    to … a panel of the Appeal Committee about your financial circumstances. You will need
                    to provide supporting documentation with it; for example, P60, bank statements, property
                    valuations or trading accounts. The material will be kept in the strictest confidence and
                    only shown to the tribunal, the Investigation Committee and its representatives. In the
                    absence of information about your financial circumstances and evidence in support, a
                    tribunal/panel will assume you have the means to pay any fine and/or costs ordered.”
                    11. Although the Appellant did not personally attend before the Disciplinary Committee, he
                    asserted that he had provided that Committee with a statement of his means. This was
                    denied by the Investigation Committee. The Appeal Committee noted that the
                    Disciplinary Committee made no reference to seeing such a document but did not
                    consider it necessary to resolve the issue because it was able to consider the Appellant’s
                    case and supporting evidence for itself to determine whether he was unable to pay any
                    costs order.
                    Press Release – 4 January 2018 Page 29 of 31
                    12. Notwithstanding the clear warning contained at the start of the Confidential Statement of
                    Financial Circumstances, the Appellant provided virtually no evidence to support his
                    assertion that he had no disposable income or assets. The Appeal Committee accepted
                    that the extracts from Appellant’s tax returns showed a modest taxable profit in 2014-15
                    and that the Appellant had no liability to pay income tax in either the 2014-15 or 2015-16
                    tax years. That, however, was the limit of the supporting documentation and in particular
                    there was nothing to evidence the Appellant’s assertions as to his present income or his
                    lack of assets.
                    13. In the circumstances the Appeal Committee were entirely satisfied that the Appellant had
                    not provided any reliable evidence in support of his assertion that he was unable to pay
                    the costs order. His appeal against that order was therefore dismissed.
                    14. As his appeal was unsuccessful, the Appeal Committee determined, following an
                    application by the Investigation Committee, that the Appellant should be required to pay
                    the costs of the hearing before it. The Appeal Committee determined that the reasonable
                    amount of costs was £1,250 and that it was just and proportionate for the Appellant to be
                    required to pay this sum.
                    Chairman Mr Angus Withington
                    Non Accountant Member Mr Shahzad Aziz
                    Accountant Member Mr Richard Lea FCA
                    Accountant Member Mr David Kaye FCA
                    Non Accountant Member Ms Ruth Todd 006314

Comment

Working...
                    X