• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiated a HMRC settlement ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiated a HMRC settlement ?

Has anyone managed to negotiate a lower settlement with a 1 off payment ? Feel free to PM if you want to keep it private.
    Thanks in advance

We've looked at a few hundred settlements and suggested this (at the client's insistence) a couple of dozen times.

Not once has HMRC budged.

Not saying it's not possible, just that we have had no success with the suggestion you make.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by smckeown View Post
      Has anyone managed to negotiate a lower settlement with a 1 off payment ? Feel free to PM if you want to keep it private.
      Thanks in advance
      Have you read the threads? There is no negotiation. There are lots of "advisors" out there willing to take your money to try to negotiate though

Comment

Settlement

So I can understand there is no negotiation.

But exactly how is settlement calculated. Fully understand how open/closed years are treated to get to a tax figure.

What I then don't fully understand is how TTP is calculated, yes I know forward interest is applied BUT to what?

I have seen examples where forward interest is not applied to the tax due on closed years.

I have seen examples where it appears that forward interest is not applied to the open years interest.

It seems to be a lottery dependent on who in HMRC does the calculations. Does anyone have an official view?

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
          Have you read the threads? There is no negotiation. There are lots of "advisors" out there willing to take your money to try to negotiate though
          There is no negotiation with HMRC enforcement. They are charged with collecting 100% of the debt. The only way you can reduce your debt is to apply for a CVA or IVA which is a formal insolvency procedure. It can only work if the Insolvency Practitioner is satisfied that it is in the best interest of creditors ( in this case HMRC ) and that HMRC agree to it. HMRC Voluntary Arrangement Service and CVA - Company Rescue Compliance is normally a reason not to agree but CVAs and IVAs have been used in the past for Accelerated Payment Notices where there is a chance that some money can be recovered
          Last edited by Montymoore; 16 July 2019, 13:23.

Comment

Working...
          X