• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOR resolutions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOR resolutions

Another scam wanting to cash in. Offering nothing you cant do yourselves or worse still to take your cash and disappear.
    Delete immediately.

Dear xxx

Good news: if you're trying to establish how much you owe in connection with your use of the Garraway contractor loans scheme, DOR Resolutions has the data for you. You might need to declare these loans to HMRC under the new Loan Charge rules. Your trustees have hired us to provide you with a statement listing all the amounts you received and the dates you received them. You can access the statement here. We'll provide your statement free of charge.

If you've recently settled your use of this scheme with HMRC you can now have the loans written off. Do this within 30 days of settling to ensure that the existence of the loans can't give rise to an inheritance tax charge years later. Follow this link to find out more. Please note that there is a charge for this service and you will need to make a payment to the trustees before the loans are written off.

If you genuinely can't afford to pay the tax HMRC say you owe, your scheme loan trustees could be very helpful to you. We can refer you to a third party who can help you to negotiate an amount you can afford. Your trustees might be in a position to force HMRC to accept your offer. This can be achieved through something called an Individual Voluntary Arrangement. Let us know you're interested here, and we'll have an adviser call you. There is no commitment at this stage. But be aware: this option is not for the faint-hearted. Talking it through with the adviser will not affect your credit rating, but proceding with the negotiation can. The adviser will explain.

Remember, if you believe you settled your tax years ago, the settlement didn't affect the loans. The loans will still be outstanding, even if you believe HMRC has treated them as income. We can help you resolve the problem here.

If you're worried about your tax bill, or the contents of this email, and need help, we've begun making regular donations to The Samaritans. Almost two hundred MPs are also helping people in your situation and are taking action in Parliament. Citizen's Advice, Tax Aid or Tax Help for Older People are all charitable organisations that might also be able to help you.

The importance of tax advice
    Finally, I must stress the importance of obtaining sound, independent tax advice. DORR doesn't give tax advice and this email doesn't constitute tax advice. You're free to use any firm you choose, but Templeton Brook are familiar with the situation and have handled similar cases to yours before.

Good luck and best wishes.

Andrew Thompson
    Director
    DOR Resolutions Limited

DOR Resolutions Limited is a limited company registered in England And Wales. Registered number: 11910189. Registered address: 2 Kenilworth Road, Crosby, Liverpool, L23 3AD.

Another Baker Tilly company.
    The last lot shut down after a few months.
    Same story.

Don't engage.

Comment

Originally posted by creativity View Post
      ...we've begun making regular donations to The Samaritans...
      Aw.Bless.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The director Mr Andrew William's Thompson is registered at this address:
        2 Kenilworth Road, Crosby, Liverpool, L23 3AD

Andrew has quite a history in vague companies who offer these services. No phone number but perhaps someone near Liverpool could pop in and ask him some questions, given they refuse to provide a telephone number or talk face to face?
        I'll swing by next time I'm in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Aw.Bless.
          Yeah, that’s a new one. :
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Mr Andrew William Thompson

Digging a bit deeper into the background of this new chancer Mr Andrew William Thompson

https://www.icaew.com/-/media/corpor...018.ashx?la=en

APPEAL COMMITTEE PANEL ORDERS
            6 Mr Andrew William Thompson [ACA]
            Kenilworth Associates Limited, 2 Kenilworth Road, Blundellsands, Liverpool, L23 3AD.
            A panel of the Appeal Committee made the decision recorded below having heard an appeal
            on 16 November 2017
            Type of Member Member
            Date of Disciplinary Tribunal Hearing 18 April 2017
            Date of Appeal Panel Hearing 16 November 2017
            Terms of complaint found proven before the Disciplinary Tribunal
            Prior to June 2005, Mr A Thompson ACA, as office holder in five insolvency cases, drew excessive
            remuneration which subsequently resulted in successful claims against Insolvency Practitioner
            Licence Bonds as particularised in the following cases:
            No Case Claim
            1 Mr ‘A’ £28,384
            2 Mr ‘C’ £21,335
            3 Mr ‘B’ £16,015
            4 Mr ‘D’ £14,981
            5 ‘E’ Limited £11,095
            Mr Andrew William Thompson is therefore liable to disciplinary action under Disciplinary Bye-law
            4.1.a.
            Disciplinary Bye-law 4.1.a states …in the course of carrying out professional work or otherwise he
            has committed any act or default likely to bring discredit on himself, the Institute or the profession
            of accountancy.
            Decision of Disciplinary Tribunal
            1. Exclusion
            2. Costs in the sum of £25,000
            Appeal against finding? No
            Appeal against Sentencing order? No
            Appeal against Costs Yes
            Decision of Appeal Panel Appeal dismissed.
            Press Release – 4 January 2018 Page 28 of 31
            Procedural matters and findings
            1 The Appellant did not attend. The Investigation Committee was represented by Mr Ian
            Graham.
            2 The hearing was in public.
            3 There were no preliminary applications.
            Grounds of appeal
            4 The order for costs should be remitted as the Appellant’s resources prevented him from
            undertaking any further liabilities.
            Decision
            5. The Appeal was dismissed.
            6. The Appellant shall pay the costs of the Appeal assessed in the sum of £1,250.
            Reasons for decision
            7. There was no challenge made by the Appellant to the Disciplinary Committee’s findings
            of fact or its decision that the appropriate sanction order was one of Exclusion.
            8. The Appellant also did not seek to challenge the reasonableness of the £25,000 costs
            order as an amount which had been fairly incurred by the Investigation Committee.
            9. The appeal was therefore pursued on the sole basis that the Appellant did not have the
            means to pay the ordered amount of costs or indeed any amount. In addition to his
            Grounds of Appeal, the Appeal Committee considered all of the documentation made
            available to it, including a letter dated 24 October 2017 from Mr Ian Cooper, a Consultant
            to Linskills Solicitors, on the Appellant’s behalf enclosing a Confidential Statement of
            Financial Circumstances signed by the Appellant on 20 October 2017 and extracts from
            his tax returns for the years ending 2015 and 2016.
            10. The Appeal Committee noted that the first page of the Confidential Statement of Financial
            Circumstances includes the following specific warning, “You should provide information
            to … a panel of the Appeal Committee about your financial circumstances. You will need
            to provide supporting documentation with it; for example, P60, bank statements, property
            valuations or trading accounts. The material will be kept in the strictest confidence and
            only shown to the tribunal, the Investigation Committee and its representatives. In the
            absence of information about your financial circumstances and evidence in support, a
            tribunal/panel will assume you have the means to pay any fine and/or costs ordered.”
            11. Although the Appellant did not personally attend before the Disciplinary Committee, he
            asserted that he had provided that Committee with a statement of his means. This was
            denied by the Investigation Committee. The Appeal Committee noted that the
            Disciplinary Committee made no reference to seeing such a document but did not
            consider it necessary to resolve the issue because it was able to consider the Appellant’s
            case and supporting evidence for itself to determine whether he was unable to pay any
            costs order.
            Press Release – 4 January 2018 Page 29 of 31
            12. Notwithstanding the clear warning contained at the start of the Confidential Statement of
            Financial Circumstances, the Appellant provided virtually no evidence to support his
            assertion that he had no disposable income or assets. The Appeal Committee accepted
            that the extracts from Appellant’s tax returns showed a modest taxable profit in 2014-15
            and that the Appellant had no liability to pay income tax in either the 2014-15 or 2015-16
            tax years. That, however, was the limit of the supporting documentation and in particular
            there was nothing to evidence the Appellant’s assertions as to his present income or his
            lack of assets.
            13. In the circumstances the Appeal Committee were entirely satisfied that the Appellant had
            not provided any reliable evidence in support of his assertion that he was unable to pay
            the costs order. His appeal against that order was therefore dismissed.
            14. As his appeal was unsuccessful, the Appeal Committee determined, following an
            application by the Investigation Committee, that the Appellant should be required to pay
            the costs of the hearing before it. The Appeal Committee determined that the reasonable
            amount of costs was £1,250 and that it was just and proportionate for the Appellant to be
            required to pay this sum.
            Chairman Mr Angus Withington
            Non Accountant Member Mr Shahzad Aziz
            Accountant Member Mr Richard Lea FCA
            Accountant Member Mr David Kaye FCA
            Non Accountant Member Ms Ruth Todd 006314

Originally posted by creativity View Post
            The director Mr Andrew William's Thompson is registered at this address:
            2 Kenilworth Road, Crosby, Liverpool, L23 3AD

Andrew has quite a history in vague companies who offer these services. No phone number but perhaps someone near Liverpool could pop in and ask him some questions, given they refuse to provide a telephone number or talk face to face?
            I'll swing by next time I'm in the area.

Comment

I think my view is that this is not another Baker Tilly exercise, but rather a copy cat from Mr Thompson.

I have nothing to add here about the individual concerned but in the absence of any evidence that he has the ability to execute any of the actions suggested I recommend being very, very cautious if this tempts you.

Our advice to BG members will be to leave alone.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Very pleased I saw this...

I got a text saying I need to repay my loans from 2012. Having previously been hammered by HMRC, and being a bit cr@p at tax stuff, my initial reaction was to panic. Then, however, I read some more and saw my options are - pay in full, pay by repayment or pay 6% and get the 94% written off. Eh?!
                Even to my limited brain that looked iffy so I googled and found this thread.
                Thank you

Comment

A new letter received today from Mr Thompson informs me that as of next month a monthly interest payment will be liable and to recommend that I create a standing order to make the payment...

Comment

Originally posted by swing84 View Post
                    A new letter received today from Mr Thompson informs me that as of next month a monthly interest payment will be liable and to recommend that I create a standing order to make the payment...
                    Unless you tell him that you don't want his services and therefore you aren't liable for anything.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X