• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New loan charge letters from HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it too!

Got the letter too.

I'd like to settle this.

Can somebody recommend a good professional that can actually reach HMRC and agree a deal that puts an end to these communications and leaves all affairs ok?

Comment

Me too!

I got my letter on Friday too - nice timing, HMRC.

I no longer have any records relating to the scheme I was in - can anyone advise the best course of action in this instance? I have requested bank statements from the period and am considering asking HMRC for the replacement P11D forms. Would the latter be unwise?

I have done a calculation and the amount I would need to pay would bankrupt me. This is a really awful situation (to put it mildly) and I wish I'd settled now!

Comment

Anyone just finding out who is not in LCAG please join up.

Comment

Originally posted by HollyGolightly View Post
          I got my letter on Friday too - nice timing, HMRC.

I no longer have any records relating to the scheme I was in - can anyone advise the best course of action in this instance? I have requested bank statements from the period and am considering asking HMRC for the replacement P11D forms. Would the latter be unwise?

I have done a calculation and the amount I would need to pay would bankrupt me. This is a really awful situation (to put it mildly) and I wish I'd settled now!
          Were you advised not to settle?

Comment

I know someone who just got a LC letter - even though they never had a loan!

They were in DTA.

HMRC fishing.....

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
              Were you advised not to settle?
              No - I took advice and then couldn't make a decision and didn't realise quite the implications of the loan charge until I got that letter. There was definitely some sand/head burying going on. The worst thing is feeling ashamed and guilty about a decision I made 13 years ago.

I have joined the LCAG today. Thank you. It helps to know I'm not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by HollyGolightly View Post
                The worst thing is feeling ashamed and guilty about a decision I made 13 years ago.
                We've all been there.

LCAG is a good place to start and it will probably be worth speaking with your adviser again.

Comment

Thank you - I appreciate the solidarity.

Comment

I received one of these letters today! Prior to today I have received no communication from HMRC at all regarding this. I used Sanzar for a couple of years, but I have not engaged in any avoidance scheme since HMRC made me bankrupt in 2010. Bankruptcy certainly taught me a lesson and it's not a pleasant process, which I thought I was now through. Shouldn't all of my liabilities have been included in that bankruptcy?

Comment

Originally posted by zedskidder View Post
                      Shouldn't all of my liabilities have been included in that bankruptcy?
                      Not wanting to be flippant, but what did you bankruptcy agreement say? If it wasn't listed on that, and wasn't a debt at that point in time, i can see why HMRC would want to claim it is a new debt, not covered by your bankruptcy, and therefore due.

You could phone HMRC and pose the question, but I'd recommend professional advice.

EDIT: Have a read of this - perhaps a glimmer of hope: I forgot to include a debt in my Bankruptcy can I add it? Beat My Debt

What if a debt comes to light after you are discharged from Bankruptcy?
                      After you have been discharged if anyone then comes forward and claims that you still owe them money then under Section 382 you are still protected from the debt as long as it was incurred before you went Bankrupt.
                      Last edited by Paralytic; 23 July 2019, 07:26.

Comment

Working...
                      X