• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New loan charge letters from HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lullaby View Post
    After calling back to H**C to tell them i never had any such loans. Received another letter after few weeks saying alng the lines of
    "
    Thank you for letting them know, however they think i may have benefited from year 200X Assignt Sols (IOM) Ltd. It then asks to check payslips , bank statements from 200X year, and if i find any such amounts then report it while filing SelfAssessment of 18/19. If i am sure that i have not had any such loans confirm this in writing via email at xxx. we may need to ask for more info.
    "

To clarify : I have never used any such loans, but only possibility is that more then a decade ago , Assignt Sols kept cold calling me during that time and one of their sales guys would have by mistake set me up on their books. But as i never used them at all i forgot abt them as no further correspondance happened , except one day a year letter i just got a p45 by post, obviously all figures 0/Zero. again was confused why this p45 considering i never asked them to add me to their list. But anyway that was it. nothing further.

Now i know that i have never had any such loans ever. Which is why i called them 1st time round.
    1) Shld i just email them saying the same in writing as requested ?
    2) also probably if it helps close the matter also attach my p60 for that 200X year?
    3) Are these loans ever reported in either P60/P45 at all ?
    3) anything else.

Anyone in the same situation

Good Morning Lullaby,

I'm in a similar boat. However, I have now responded by email to them and have provided the following evidence:

1. Bank Statements from the time period (managed to obtain through a SAR to Santander)
    2. My employment contracts from the time period (had them in email form). These show commencement/completion dates, hourly rates, employment business ect.
    3. PAYE Payslips from the umbrella company I was using (Obtained through a SAR)
    4. My tax return (Obtained through a SAR to HMRC)

I have no idea if this will be enough. I sent the email on Thursday last week and have not had a reply back yet.

Might call them again tomorrow.... but the information and help I received the last time was about as useful as an inflatable dart board.

Many thanks,

Will
    Last edited by Billm; 15 August 2019, 09:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Iter View Post
      The loans would prob not be declared on p60, if you did get any it may just be a line somewhere on payslips. Ultimately if you believe you never actually received any income from loans then tell HM that. I doubt they could prove any different.
      Don't forget it is also a requirement for the promoters/providers to provide these details as well, so HMRC will get them that way if they exist. However, if the poster genuinely believes they didn't receive any, then that would be an argument to have further down the line should it rise I guess.
      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Assignment Solutions had common directors with Penfolds and we know from the recent Hoey case that there was a reference to 57 boxes of information obtained from the Isle of Man. We also know from the IOM Courts that HMRC have been requesting information under their agreements with the IOM authorities.

Hoey case link http://financeandtax.decisions.tribu...54/TC07292.pdf

IOM Courts link Isle of Man Judgments Online

Lullaby seems sure but I would recommend making doubly sure as HMRC may hold all the cards here. Plus, from reading Hoey, it is clear that he didn't know or understand what he was getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by piebaps View Post
          Assignment Solutions had common directors with Penfolds and we know from the recent Hoey case that there was a reference to 57 boxes of information obtained from the Isle of Man. We also know from the IOM Courts that HMRC have been requesting information under their agreements with the IOM authorities.

Hoey case link http://financeandtax.decisions.tribu...54/TC07292.pdf

IOM Courts link Isle of Man Judgments Online

Lulaby seems sure but I would recommend making doubly sure as HMRC may hold all the cards here. Plus, from reading Hoey, it is clear that he didn't know or understand what he was getting into.
          YES , i am 100% sure, i have not had any monies via loan. I also have my end of year P60 for 20XX years proving was working all year for a normal umbrella company and salaries matching the same in my bank account. No other income at all.

The only reason i think H**C have my name on their list is because those guys were cold calling me to join these scheme in those days, i kept saying no, and someone from their bloody sales team , ended up creating my details on their system without my consent, and the reason i think so is because after about 18 from that time, i suddenly received a random P45 from these guys with all number 0/Zero. I hope that would clarify the doubt.

So given the above,

I shall anyway email them, confirming i had no loans
          but shall i also attach P60/BankStatements/anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Billm View Post
            Good Morning Lullaby,

I'm in a similar boat. However, I have now responded by email to them and have provided the following evidence:

1. Bank Statements from the time period (managed to obtain through a SAR to Santander)
            2. My employment contracts from the time period (had them in email form). These show commencement/completion dates, hourly rates, employment business ect.
            3. PAYE Payslips from the umbrella company I was using (Obtained through a SAR)
            4. My tax return (Obtained through a SAR to HMRC)

I have no idea if this will be enough. I sent the email on Thursday last week and have not had a reply back yet.

Might call them again tomorrow.... but the information and help I received the last time was about as useful as an inflatable dart board.

Many thanks,

Will

Let us know how ur call goes. will help in case before i get that far
            i do have my P60 + mybnk will provide a print o stmt for that period
            i don't have any seprate tax return as i was on a normal umbrella PAYE, so did nt file any seprate tax return.

Comment

Let us know how ur call goes. will help in case before i get that far
              i do have my P60 + mybnk will provide a print o stmt for that period
              i don't have any seprate tax return as i was on a normal umbrella PAYE, so did nt file any seprate tax return.
              I would start gathering everything together just in case. It does sound like you're at the same stage as me...

You do have a tax return for that year, it just won't be self assessment. I got mine to make sure that the numbers that HMRC have on record tally with the payslips from my umbrella company (payslips can be falsified)

Comment

Originally posted by Billm View Post
                I would start gathering everything together just in case. It does sound like you're at the same stage as me...

You do have a tax return for that year, it just won't be self assessment. I got mine to make sure that the numbers that HMRC have on record tally with the payslips from my umbrella company (payslips can be falsified)
                i only have P60 (AFAIK) for those years (circa 13+ years back) , as i don't think i had to file any separate tax return as i was only in one full time PAYE Employment, for which the employer gives you End of Year P60 ( proof that tax has been paid). Had no other form of income

Comment

By generic do you mean it starts with "Dear Sir or Madam" ? That's how my letter begins, but still posed in my name to my address?

It does say at the end of first paragraph "If you think you did not use such scheme, please contact us on 03000599110 to confirm this.

Is anyone here in same situation as me and have called ?

Ideally i wouldn't want to Ignore even though i have no such loans. I would rather prefer to call and close the matter
                  I called the number and had a lengthy conversation. Basically, they are indiscriminately carpet bombing anyone who had an association with a loan scheme or other DR scheme. This may include people who have settled as per my situation.

They said I should write to them and explain this so that they can take me off their list and see the error of their ways whilst helping to improve their process!!

If I don’t write in I may continue to receive letters as the system that generates the letters is not joined to others where settlements are recorded. They say the purpose is to raise awareness amongst people who have not settled but ones who have settled my be accidentally included.

Talk about bullying, harassment and ineptitude.

Comment

Originally posted by zedskidder View Post
                    Thinking about this in relation to insolvency some more. One of the key arguments from HMRC is that this is not retrospective legislation and that these schemes have never "worked". If that is true, then bankruptcy definitely puts the loans/tax liabilities out of reach. Had the liabilities been realised at the time, my bankruptcy would have swept them away, in the same sense that bankruptcy would do the same for anyone facing this issue now. Only retrospective tax legislation (which to this extent is unlawful as I understand it) could revive those debts from prior to bankruptcy.

I'm still taking advice on the matter of course, but the more I think about this, the more I think HMRC will not want to pursue in my particular case, otherwise I think the APPG might take special interest (more than they are already).
                    Hi, I also filed for bankruptcy a few years ago and have had the loan charge letter. Did you ever find out if you are exemped because of the bankruptcy?
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Businesswoman View Post
                      Hi, I also filed for bankruptcy a few years ago and have had the loan charge letter. Did you ever find out if you are exemped because of the bankruptcy?
                      Thanks
                      I called 2 HMRC helplines. The second advised I should email the counter avoidance team. It took them nearly a month to acknowledge they had received my email and simply stated it had been forwarded to the appropriate team. Hopeless basically. I will update if ever I get a response.

Comment

Working...
                      X