• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tribunal and beyond

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    If the UTT refuses Leave, an application can be made to the Civil Courts. Im not sure if this is to the High Court or Court of Appeal but again, the test is high to succeed.
    Court of Appeal. I'm waiting to hear about a case where the UT refused permission (but the Court of Appeal goes on holiday today so who knows when I will hear).

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
      Court of Appeal. I'm waiting to hear about a case where the UT refused permission (but the Court of Appeal goes on holiday today so who knows when I will hear).
      Thanks. I thought it was more likely to be the CoA.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I think Webberg mentioned some cases going to tribunal. Does anyone know what these cases are and which Schemes are impacted?

Is there a list anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
          I think Webberg mentioned some cases going to tribunal. Does anyone know what these cases are and which Schemes are impacted?

Is there a list anywhere.
          So far in Tribunal.

Scheme - Sandfield (very similar to TRM)
          Case - Boyle
          Stage - FTT
          Result - lost, no appeal

Scheme - Penfolds/Hamilton
          Case - Hoey
          Stage - FTT
          Result - lost - appeal period running - no public notice of appeal yet

Scheme - Montpelier DTA
          Case - Lancashire, Lee
          Stage - FTT
          Result - not yet published

Scheme - Steed self employed - Avenue - Marra - Kirium - Invicta - Edge - Horizon
          Case - TBA
          Stage - FTT
          Result - preparing for first hearing
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            So far in Tribunal.

Case - Boyle
            Stage - FTT
            Result - lost, no appeal

Case - Hoey
            Stage - FTT

Scheme - Montpelier DTA
            Case - Lancashire, Lee
            Stage - FTT
            Result - not yet published

Scheme - Steed self employed - Avenue - Marra - Kirium - Invicta - Edge - Horizon
            Case - TBA
            Stage - FTT
            At the risk of appearing ignorant, are these people going to the tribunal to oppose the application of the loan charge on their scheme, or APNs, or what?

If one of these cases is decided in favour of the taxpayer and that decisin is supported on appeal, what implication, if any, does that have for other members of the same scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
              At the risk of appearing ignorant, are these people going to the tribunal to oppose the application of the loan charge on their scheme, or APNs, or what?

If one of these cases is decided in favour of the taxpayer and that decisin is supported on appeal, what implication, if any, does that have for other members of the same scheme?
              There are no cases in Tribunal relating to the loan charge as no assessments on that have been issued. The first ones coming due will be January next year.

APN cannot be appealed and instead have pursued a course via Judicial Review into the Administrative Court where all have so far lost their claim that the APN is in some manner invalid.

The cases listed are all concerned with whether the analysis of liability as determined by HMRC is correct or is there another analysis that is better.

The Tribunal process and progress is described in the thread.

If at any point a case is decided and becomes final, (no more appeals) then the decision can be applied to all similar cases.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Case - Boyle
                Stage - FTT
                Result - lost, no appeal
                Boyle v Revenue & Customs [2013] UKFTT 723 (TC) (29 November 2013)

Case - Hoey
                Stage - FTT
                Hoey v Revenue & Customs (PROCEDURE : INCOME TAX - IT contractor employed by offshore company) [2019] UKFTT 489 (TC) (29 July 2019)

Comment

This one interests me. How long will this take ?

Case - TBA
                  Stage - FTT

----------------

Edge closed down eventually. Their EBT scheme was defeated as far as I know because of the Rangers case. I paid up my APN so I am assuming this challenge is or was their direct employee loan scheme from 2010-2011 skint.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
                    This one interests me. How long will this take ?

Case - TBA
                    Stage - FTT

----------------

Edge closed down eventually. Their EBT scheme was defeated as far as I know because of the Rangers case. I paid up my APN so I am assuming this challenge is or was their direct employee loan scheme from 2010-2011 skint.
                    We will be in Tribunal within 6 months.

The challenge on Edge is for their loan scheme 2006 (? sorry on a train with no access to my database) onwards. Rangers did not defeat that scheme. Edge will be in Tribunal Q2 2020.

(No, me neither).

Comment

We will be in Tribunal within 6 months.

The challenge on Edge is for their loan scheme 2006 (? sorry on a train with no access to my database) onwards. Rangers did not defeat that scheme. Edge will be in Tribunal Q2 2020.
                      I had exposure to Marra, Kirium and Invicta (settled under CLSO1) - suspect that the arguments will be very similar to those raised in the Penfolds case (HMRC used Transfer of Assets as the main thurst of their argument which seems to be the same for the Penfolds FTT). Whilst, my interest at this point is purely academic, having settled, I would be interested to see what the FTT had to say about it - would be grateful if you could post a link once that judgement is available?

Comment

Working...
                      X