• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tribunal and beyond

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    FWIW, the decision in the Montpelier JR (against retro BN66) was published within a week or so, and that was an emphatic defeat. The Judge didn't even throw Montpelier a morsel.
    This is very true. The decision was basically "Parliament can make any law it wants.".

My favourite bit was Judge Parker saying that Montpelier had not done enough to force HMRC to close the scheme!

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
      Published next week. Quite quick so I don't see it being favourable. It will be appealed no doubt. Be interesting if there are any morsels to feed off.

I supported the JR but have always seen it as a long shot and a way to apply pressure/buy time rather than anything else.

Unfortunately Tax JRs on human rights are pointless and never work - there are several precedents. Seems RV took those who contributed for another ride. No JR on the LC will be successful.

Comment

Sorry to be a downer

One other thing to be aware of (which happened in the Montpelier case)...

If you lose a JR, especially if the decision is unequivocal, it may have wider negative ramifications.

Firstly, you may get slated by the press (labelled tax dodgers etc). Any sympathy there might have been, may quickly disappear.

Secondly, the Government may use the decision to justify that no further action/concessions are required. You may also lose the backing of some previously supportive MPs.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          One other thing to be aware of (which happened in the Montpelier case)...

If you lose a JR, especially if the decision is unequivocal, it may have wider negative ramifications.

Firstly, you may get slated by the press (labelled tax dodgers etc). Any sympathy there might have been, may quickly disappear.

Secondly, the Government may use the decision to justify that no further action/concessions are required. You may also lose the backing of some previously supportive MPs.
          Wow big gamble then

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
            Wow big gamble then
            I share those concerns, however it is about the legality of the Loan Charge not the fairness or unfairness of what it contains. The MPs are mainly concerned about the latter. Still, no doubt some may use it as an excuse to drift off.

End of the day, there are lots of critics here and out there about what LCAG is or isn't doing. Far more than are actually volunteering or helping where the core group is relatively small.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
              I share those concerns, however it is about the legality of the Loan Charge not the fairness or unfairness of what it contains. The MPs are mainly concerned about the latter. Still, no doubt some may use it as an excuse to drift off.

End of the day, there are lots of critics here and out there about what LCAG is or isn't doing. Far more than are actually volunteering or helping where the core group is relatively small.
              I totally get that. I've seen what appears to be a few people supposedly on the side of those facing the loan charge take glee it what might be a fall at the first hurdle. I said a while back this is whole mess is a harder read that Smileys People in that there seems to be no lines in the sand as the battle commences.

Its pretty worrying some so called anti LC egos are getting in the way of what should be a consolidated battle

Comment

Working...
              X