• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Declaring depreciated ccy loans - some specific questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
    You're talking about Venturis sending loan statements; I personally disagree they are "reinstating" the loans, I think they are just saying what needs to be declared for the LC. But that is a side issue not related to my question.

So how are you treating Horizon interest payments (and further drawdowns) when settling/declaring LC for your clients; you say you've never seen these interest payments, but you must have if you have Horizon clients, which I know you do.
    We do have clients who have used the Horizon arrangements.

I will go and check if any have sent cheques for interest.

We did cover our loan charge strategy for disclosure with our clients at the seminar on 27th July.

My view of a similar scenario is that the correct value to return is the original sterling value, less the sterling value of any "repayment".

My view is the the "interest paid and readvanced" mechanism was simply a way for the end parties to collect fees. The readvance is not something that arose from the working arrangement and cannot therefore be disguised remuneration.

There is an argument that there may be sufficient connection to the original loan/remuneration for the subsequent interest to seen as related, but my view is that this is too remote.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      We do have clients who have used the Horizon arrangements.

I will go and check if any have sent cheques for interest.

We did cover our loan charge strategy for disclosure with our clients at the seminar on 27th July.

My view of a similar scenario is that the correct value to return is the original sterling value, less the sterling value of any "repayment".

My view is the the "interest paid and readvanced" mechanism was simply a way for the end parties to collect fees. The readvance is not something that arose from the working arrangement and cannot therefore be disguised remuneration.

There is an argument that there may be sufficient connection to the original loan/remuneration for the subsequent interest to seen as related, but my view is that this is too remote.
      Super thanks

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
        Super thanks
        For completeness, our strategy is not without risk.

We could be wrong and penalties could arise.

If in doubt, take specific advice and do not rely upon forum users.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
        X