• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Without Prejudice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without Prejudice

Hi,

I have my settlement letter and at the top it states 'without prejudice'

Does this mean that if I stump up the cash, that should this ever be defeated, I can't go for a ppi style compensation claim ?

Thanks

Originally posted by tictac View Post
    Hi,

I have my settlement letter and at the top it states 'without prejudice'

Does this mean that if I stump up the cash, that should this ever be defeated, I can't go for a ppi style compensation claim ?

Thanks
    No.

If you settle and case goes to Court and gets a "better" decision than settlement, you cannot benefit.

If the Court decision is "worse", you cannot be disadvantaged.

"Without prejudice" means that if you choose not to settle, then all other legal options are open to HMRC and the fact that they have offered you a settlement does not "prejudice" the arguments that they may wish to advance.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      No.

If you settle and case goes to Court and gets a "better" decision than settlement, you cannot benefit.

If the Court decision is "worse", you cannot be disadvantaged.

"Without prejudice" means that if you choose not to settle, then all other legal options are open to HMRC and the fact that they have offered you a settlement does not "prejudice" the arguments that they may wish to advance.
      So if the law was overturned I could claim the monies back ?

Comment

So if the law was overturned, I could claim the monies back ?
        That's a non-sequitur. It doesn't follow from "without prejudice"
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

So if the law was overturned I could claim the monies back ?
          No.

A settlement is a contract.

You agree to pay. HMRC agrees to accept that it is equal to your liability.

Once signed, ALL other subsequent actions, including a change of law, become irrelevant.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
          X