• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it too late to request settlement?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it too late to request settlement?

The deadline for providing info to HMRC was 5 April.

Has the door closed shut and now it's LC? Or are HMRC still amenable to settlement?

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
    The deadline for providing info to HMRC was 5 April.

Has the door closed shut and now it's LC? Or are HMRC still amenable to settlement?
    You will need to ask them.

Comment

Imagine the scenario:

You: Hi HMRC, I want to give you some money.

HMRC: No thanks.

Can't see that happening somehow!

If you're keen to settle then just email and call them. They've probably lost your original CLSO2 from last year because they're so inundated and understaffed.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        If you're keen to settle then just email and call them. They've probably lost your original CLSO2 from last year because they're so inundated and understaffed.
        Dear HMRC,

I sent you information in March 2019 about settlement but I haven't heard anything back. Can you let me know when I will be receiving my settlement offer.

Many thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
          Dear HMRC,

I sent you information in March 2019 about settlement but I haven't heard anything back. Can you let me know when I will be receiving my settlement offer.

Many thanks,

Just remember that anything we send to HMRC has to be sent registered. Everything HMRC send is assumed to have arrived 4 days letter. Its an uneven playing field.

Comment

To be fair I recently made a payment over the phone to HMRC for some income tax from 3 years ago and now they can't find the money/payment...
            "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

HMRC seem to be encouraging settlement applications still.

Don't know what their plan is though.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                HMRC seem to be encouraging settlement applications still.

Don't know what their plan is though.
                Interesting, considering the apparent deadline is 31 Aug.

I'm still waiting for a reply to queries I sent to HMRC in response to their initial CLSO "offer". They took 8 months to reply to my first query, so I wonder if their response to my second query will take another 8 months. Seems that I'll miss the 31 Aug deadline

Comment

In hindsight, I bet HMRC wish they'd never offered settlement. It's so much work processing all those requests and information and having to deal with people. What a chore.

The LC is so much easier. Just sit back and let the taxpayers do all the grunt work on their tax returns.

HMRC issue briefing: charge on disguised remuneration loans - GOV.UK

"All individuals who have outstanding disguised remuneration loan balances, and have not reached a settlement, must provide information on their loans to HMRC by 30 September 2019. They will also need to file a tax return for the year 2018 to 2019 by 31 January 2020."

Comment

Except - as I keep saying - the loan charge is NOT the end of the process.

I'm aware that many people think that if HMRC get the LC money then they will stop all enquiries into open years.

This is simply untrue and untenable under present legislation.

We fear that many people are pinning their hopes on the loan charge disappearing under the weight of political pressure.

Even if that happens, if you have open years (valid HMRC enquiries), then HMRC would certainly restart the process.

Killing the loan charge is not the end of the process.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                    X