Tax Refund During HMRC Investigation Tax Refund During HMRC Investigation
Posts 1 to 3 of 3

Nervous Newbie

Default Tax Refund During HMRC Investigation

Hi,

Is this a common problem that HMRC refuses to pay tax refunds while you are being investigated by their Counter Avoidance team? The tax refund is for the last two years, while the investigation concerns 2012-14.

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by inziderhh View Post
    Hi,

Is this a common problem that HMRC refuses to pay tax refunds while you are being investigated by their Counter Avoidance team? The tax refund is for the last two years, while the investigation concerns 2012-14.
    It has happened. Try claiming hardship. If not you may need to get an adviser onto them - which may cost more than the refund!

My ex-wife works for HMRC. When we were together she told me how someone claimed £16 back - they joked he would not get it back until they spent £500 on advisers.....

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by inziderhh View Post
    Hi,

Yes, I also experienced this. The way I got it back was when I had to pay my payment on account for the following tax year, I paid it minus what they had held on account. No queries or dramas.
    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"