• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spammy/scammy HMRC Loan Settlement Letter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spammy/scammy HMRC Loan Settlement Letter

Hello all

A bit of a weird one - I received a letter from what appears to be HMRC.

There are a number of problems with it
    • The letter was addressed to an address that I have not lived at for well over a decade
    • The initials in the name do not belong to myself nor anyone in my family
    • The National Insurance number was not mine
    • The UTR was not mine
    • The earnings made for the year 2017-18 contradicts the self-assessment made by my accountant on 17th December 2018. I was told that you can only make one self-assessment submission.

I have no idea how to deal with this. Has anyone else received an a letter like this? Should I make a complaint? I find it hard to believe that at a time when people are killing themselves over such things that HMRC are letting these things go out...

That piece of paper should find a suitable interface with the nearest bin.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by kobestarr View Post
      Hello all

• The letter was addressed to an address that I have not lived at for well over a decade
      • The UTR was not mine
      • The earnings made for the year 2017-18 contradicts the self-assessment made by my accountant on 17th December 2018. I was told that you can only make one self-assessment submission.

I have no idea how to deal with this. Has anyone else received an a letter like this? Should I make a complaint? I find it hard to believe that at a time when people are killing themselves over such things that HMRC are letting these things go out...
      Contact HMRC directly find out from them - go back to your previous correspondence and find the contact details there, don't use anything from the letter.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by kobestarr View Post
        Hello all

• The UTR was not mine

There should be no 'appears to be from HMRC' at all. Either it is on HMRC headed toilet paper or it is not. If it is not, it is not from HMRC and is likely a scam.

You suggest the only thing relevant to you is your previous address. Seeing as all the other details do not refer to you, Id bin it.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

You say the initials aren’t yours, is the surname yours, or one you have used in the past?
          If not, how did the letter end up in your possession?

It’s like we’re missing a few key bits of the story.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No big surprise. I once received a letter with wrong UTR and wrong National Insurance Number. Probably just the previous person the caseworker was handling when they edited the letter.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              No big surprise. I once received a letter with wrong UTR and wrong National Insurance Number. Probably just the previous person the caseworker was handling when they edited the letter.
              Should not happen.

HMRC's letter system populates name/UTR/NINO etc from a central database.

Erros or inconsistencies there are indicative of a non HMRC source.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
              X