• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Investigations. HMRC has its new 'avoiders'.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    Had a brief chat with a contact at QDOS a week or so ago, and agree with this. If you've already got one of those letters, it's too late to get insurance. They will however help on a £/hour basis.
    Not so sure about them refusing to insure GSK contractors who have received the non-enquiry letter. The statements referred to in earlier post are as follows and lifted directly from QDOS website:

STATEMENTS

- You have not been subject to a VAT, PAYE or NIC inspection and/or an HMRC enquiry into your self-assessment tax return (personal and/or corporate) in the last three years.

You are able to exercise a Right of Substitution

- You have autonomy over your method of work and are not subject to the same level of supervision or control as your clients’ employees.

- Your company currently carries, or you will look to purchase business insurances, such as Professional Indemnity, Employers/Public Liability.

- You are not aware of any discrepancies between your company’s contract with your agency and your agency’s contract with your end client.

- You have not been employed directly by any of your clients in the 12 months prior to commencing work under a contract for services.

Comment

- You have not been subject to a VAT, PAYE or NIC inspection and/or an HMRC enquiry into your self-assessment tax return (personal and/or corporate) in the last three years.
      But surely the letters is an opening salvo and you are on their radar which would fail this. Maybe not to the letter but they are still under the cosh so paying 250 quid for insurance when it's guaranteed QDOS are going to spend money on their case is a tad unacceptable.

Must be manic at the QDOS offices. Apart from the fact the new business team will be working flat out, they've got to position themselves right here. They could lead from the front and represent all GSK contractors so they can wave the flag and said they did it which would be great for their company image but... if they do it for GSK they are going to have to think what to do for all the next companies and potentially end up with a very large millstone hanging round their necks just by grabbing a bit of limelight.

There is also the fact that long standing customers like myself will be f**king livid if they start spending my money on people that just bought insurance because they've been caught out.

Gonna be some deep thinking going on over there I think.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 30 August 2019, 16:07.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        Had a brief chat with a contact at QDOS a week or so ago, and agree with this. If you've already got one of those letters, it's too late to get insurance. They will however help on a £/hour basis.
        IPSE will still provide cover -

The aggressive HMRC letters to GSK contractors – IPSE explainer | IPSE

"If you are not currently a member and join IPSE now, we will be able to offer advice and guidance on this. We may not be able to provide the same level of guidance once an investigation has been already opened."

IPSE do not consider that these letters constitute a compliance check or investigation.

Join IPSE | IPSE for £50 off

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
          I guess we'll soon see the ambulance chasers on this too - having moved on from Schemes they'll be offering 'bespoke' solutions to IR35 investigations and Ir35 compliance.
          Oh yes, I’m sure we will.

<flexes banhammer>

Oh, also FAOD, if I recognise ANY names trolling up here, I will add a flaming spike of FOAD to my ban.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
          X