• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pembroke PAYE Umbrella closing down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've now had three people contact me about the above scheme.

I've been asked how it works etc and whether we have an analysis.

The answer is that until last week I had not heard of it: we have no papers on it: none of the people I have spoken with have any papers of any significance.

So, I don't know how it works and we do not have an analysis.

If anybody does have any papers and would like us to review and prepare and analysis, I'd be happy to do that.

There would be no charge.

This is because until we know enough about how it all works, we don't know if our strategy works for it or not.

On the face of it, what little we do know indicates that it is a dinosaur from the early 2000's that has somehow managed to survive the various law changes. However, it may be that actually it was more than one scheme over that period and as such has changed and adapted like many others have.

If anybody would like to help us (and themselves), more than happy to pitch in.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

One thing that seems highly unlikely is that it was a "PAYE Umbrella".
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Thank you,

I'll send some bits through to you soon.

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        I've now had three people contact me about the above scheme.

I've been asked how it works etc and whether we have an analysis.

The answer is that until last week I had not heard of it: we have no papers on it: none of the people I have spoken with have any papers of any significance.

So, I don't know how it works and we do not have an analysis.

If anybody does have any papers and would like us to review and prepare and analysis, I'd be happy to do that.

There would be no charge.

This is because until we know enough about how it all works, we don't know if our strategy works for it or not.

On the face of it, what little we do know indicates that it is a dinosaur from the early 2000's that has somehow managed to survive the various law changes. However, it may be that actually it was more than one scheme over that period and as such has changed and adapted like many others have.

If anybody would like to help us (and themselves), more than happy to pitch in.

Comment

Thank you all.

I've now seen the details.

Not good.

I see that HMRC petitioned for the liquidation but there is no indication - as yet - whether this was over missing PAYE receipts.

In some ways I hope it is and in other ways not.

I think the details I have indicate a naive scheme that certainly post Rangers is of debatable provenance.

(No, me neither).

Comment

A recent director at Pembroke was Adrian Sacco and appears to be a former director of Opus Bestpay Limited Adrian Benedict SACCO - Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              One thing that seems highly unlikely is that it was a "PAYE Umbrella".
              Hi

That term isn't really that unusual. Many (compliant) providers use this term.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
              Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
                Hi

That term isn't really that unusual. Many (compliant) providers use this term.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
                Yes but if Pembroke were calling themselves a "PAYE Umbrella" then it was almost certainly in name only.
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  Yes but if Pembroke were calling themselves a "PAYE Umbrella" then it was almost certainly in name only.
                  Oh, yes, agreed.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
                  Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                    Thank you all.

I've now seen the details.

Not good.

I see that HMRC petitioned for the liquidation but there is no indication - as yet - whether this was over missing PAYE receipts.

In some ways I hope it is and in other ways not.

I think the details I have indicate a naive scheme that certainly post Rangers is of debatable provenance.
                    So what's the summary/expectation without too much further analysis? Can those that were in the scheme expect to have to pay back full PAYE? No way to fight it?
                    Pembroke were very clear that they were not in scope of the Loan Charge as no third party was involved...

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyB View Post
                      So what's the summary/expectation without too much further analysis? Can those that were in the scheme expect to have to pay back full PAYE? No way to fight it?
                      Pembroke were very clear that they were not in scope of the Loan Charge as no third party was involved...
                      My expectation is that HMRC will be looking to individuals to settle a claimed liability on "loans" made to them on the grounds that this is really remuneration.

(This ignores the fact that HMRC could - and arguably should - have policed the PAYE system and sent Pembroke Reg 80's. That is a test for a Tribunal/Court.)

Your choice is therefore to try and persuade HMRC to settle with you on the basis that the money you had was remuneration (presently suspended because of loan charge review and now a GE) or to resist.

Resistance is via litigation starting in the First Tier Tribunal. Litigation is best done in groups for reasons of economy and comfort.

I'm going to suggest that whatever Pembroke says is designed to assist and be for the benefit of Pembroke and its connections.

Pembroke owes you no duty of care. They are not professional advisers. You did not engage them for professional advice.

If you thought you did, see a recent case (CR-2018-001831 Toone and Paourou vs Ross and Bell) in which a Court held that commentary from (in that instance) Premier Strategies and others, was not the sort of professional advice that a reasonable man could or should rely upon. In essence parties who have a potential conflict of interest in the "advice" they give were not considered by the Court to be suitable, independent, unbiased, sources of advice.

You must make a judgement therefore on what Pembroke say. Are they saying things that protect them or you?

To steal and misquote a line from Twitter, trust [political opinion] has to be earned and not paid for.

Given Pembroke's performance, have they earned your trust? If they have, great, do as they suggest.

If they have not, go and get your own advice.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X