• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phone Scam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone Scam

I got a recorded message today purporting to be from HMRC DR team, it made legal threats & gave a call back number & ref & officers name threatening legal action if I didn't call back with my solicitors present within 48hrs.

The Ref didn't = any HMRC ref.
    The number wasn't listed on 'Who called me'. 07429684339 (its listed now!)
    HMRC confirmed its a scam & advised to beware of another one that uses a cloned the HMRC 300 number.

Be careful out there other scumbags are circling too, but what worries me is other than here (& my phone & name isn't listed) how do they know I am in discussion with HMRC DR over my possible liabilities?

NB Moderators - if in the wrong forum place? please move, or remove after a few days?
    Last edited by Hitchphil; 24 October 2019, 10:10.

Originally posted by Hitchphil View Post
    I got a recorded message today purporting to be from HMRC DR team, it made legal threats & gave a call back number & ref & officers name threatening legal action if I didn't call back with my solicitors present within 48hrs.

The Ref didn't = any HMRC ref.
    The number wasn't listed on 'Who called me'. 07429684339 (its listed now!)
    HMRC confirmed its a scam & advised to beware of another one that uses a cloned the HMRC 300 number.

Be careful out there other scumbags are circling too, but what worries me is other than here (& my phone & name isn't listed) how do they know I am in discussion with HMRC DR over my possible liabilities?

NB Moderators - if in the wrong forum place? please move, or remove after a few days?

I had the same/ similar one. Instructed me that if I didn't press one then a warrant for my arrest would be activated.

Comment

I solve that by not picking up the landline phone or just ending the call.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've not had this one, but if I've a spare 20 or 30 minutes, I like to play along and keep them on the phone for a bit, then laugh when they get to the end of their scam. I've been hung up on a few times.

Comment

Working...
        X