• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help with dividends (VERY WORRIED)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    How does the money get from your business account to BCSL, so they can pay you a dividend? Or, is the invoice you raise from BCSL to your company? Do you get paid anything, other than the 73% dividends eg. small salary from your company?
    Yes, a small salary a month and that's it.

Comment

It does sound like you've been scammed, sadly, but you've spotted something awry and have started asking the right questions.

Check your contract with them and make sure you can exit from it.

Find yourself an accountant, there's a sticky thread in the Accounting/Legal forum that's a good start. A good accountant will talk you through everything you need to know and the Accounting/Legal forum is the place to ask questions if there's anything you don't understand, or want to hear a second opinion on.

Above all, remember, this is all fixable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tavy View Post
        What is your day rate or what type of sums we talking here a month? - My day rate is 350 and I get about 73% from the contract value.
        I presume you (or your accountants) declare the following on your self-assessment tax return, and you pay the additional tax on the dividends accordingly?

1) small salary from your company, which has already been subject to PAYE

2) dividends (from a foreign company?)

If HMRC did challenge this set-up, they'd probably look to treat the dividends as earned income. Yes, you would face an additional tax bill but nothing like as bad as the loan schemes where no previous tax had been paid on the loans.

This scheme is nowhere near as aggressive as the loan schemes. In fact, it's hard to see the point of it when you could achieve a similar retention rate my running your own Ltd Co.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

In fact, it's hard to see the point of it when you could achieve a similar retention rate my running your own Ltd Co.
          When I was in a loan scheme the same could be said.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
            When I was in a loan scheme the same could be said.
            How could that be if you were only paying (single digit?) tax on a small salary?
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

How could that be if you were only paying (single digit?) tax on a small salary?
              Read the quote.

Comment

So there is no tax paid by the company or PAYE (of any significance) but you get 73% and presumably pay tax on these mysterious "dividends" when you submit your tax return?

If so, then the fee is not a petty matter - probably 20% or more.
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

If these are dividends you should have a share certificate, so must be a loan no?. Spidey sense suggests some sort of corporation tax scam as Cyprus is 12.5%.

https://opencorporates.com/companies/cy/HE364581

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
                    Read the quote.
                    To end up with just 70ish% net retention, when only paying a few% tax on a small salary, I'm guessing the promoter must have been creaming off a shed load of fees?

Comment

Hi Tavy. Get out of this immediately.

Comment

Working...
                      X