• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan Charge + 50% payment on account for next year???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loan Charge + 50% payment on account for next year???

Hi

Just filled in my self assessment for 2019, added in loan charge details and on the tax due calculation not only is it asking for the tax due on the loan charge by Jan 31st , they also want 50% payment on account paid then as well?

i.e they are projecting that the income for loan charge will be "earned" again next year and they want 50% payment on account for this in Jan and the other 50% 31st July??

Surely there must be a way to adjust for this? Ive looked but can't see anything.

Thanks

Originally posted by FTTM View Post
    Hi

Just filled in my self assessment for 2019, added in loan charge details and on the tax due calculation not only is it asking for the tax due on the loan charge by Jan 31st , they also want 50% payment on account paid then as well?

i.e they are projecting that the income for loan charge will be "earned" again next year and they want 50% payment on account for this in Jan and the other 50% 31st July??

Surely there must be a way to adjust for this? Ive looked but can't see anything.

Thanks
    There should be a section where you get the option to state that next years income is projected to be smaller than this years and add a suggested figure.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

been through the whole return again and i can't see where that is? do you know which section? Thanks

Comment

ahhh , found it i think. its not actually on the return itself but a seperate link after you have filed a return.

Comment

Originally posted by FTTM View Post
          ahhh , found it i think. its not actually on the return itself but a seperate link after you have filed a return.
          May I ask why you are completing your return ahead of the LC Review outcome being known?

Comment

Originally posted by Delendog View Post
            May I ask why you are completing your return ahead of the LC Review outcome being known?
            I am wondering the same thing.

I cannot afford the LC payment on 31/01. I'm living daily on a red line, thinking what will happen if I put the loans as income.

HMRC aren't answering any letters/emails about my settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by Delendog View Post
              If you want to mitigate with pension payment for example.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
                If you want to mitigate with pension payment for example.
                Im no expert but I assumed I have missed that boat? As far as i know you cannot make AVCs for a previous tax year?

I realise now that i could of offset some of the charge by increasing pension contributions in 2018 / 2019 but HMRC only wrote to me about the loan charge in September this year. I foolishly thought that when i voluntarily settled in 2015 for all my outstanding enquiries , that was the end of the matter but now i have found out I have to pay HMRC for where they have no valid enquiries as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  I am wondering the same thing.

I cannot afford the LC payment on 31/01. I'm living daily on a red line, thinking what will happen if I put the loans as income.

HMRC aren't answering any letters/emails about my settlement.
                  I have filed out the return to get an accurate figure but have not yet submitted it officially.

My take is there is little chance the loan charge is going to be revoked before the payment date. I assume people will have to pay and then if there are any changes due to the review a reclaim process will need to be followed.

To be clear this will wipe out all our savings, the amount I now have to pay being 100% more than the original tax due as i made the mistake of working hard and i now have the privilege of paying a 60% marginal tax rate on the first 25K due to the removal of tax free allowance over 100K and the rest of it will be taxed at 45%.

All pretty punitive stuff that leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth, made all the worse by the double standards of when HMRC decide something is aggressive tax avoidance vs tax avoidance that theyre completely fine with when conducted by the ultra high net worth individuals and multi national companies.

Take for example all the billions in stamp duty that was avoided on London property by purchasing via an offshore company. I notice that this blatant loophole / avoidance measure was fixed by the introduction of new rules prospectively and HMRC didn't deem it necessary to fire up the rule changing time machine to collect the billions that have been avoided in this manner over the last 20 years.

The problem with EBTs as far as i can see is that middle class people used them and HMRC/ Govt have made it clear that they will not tolerate middle class tax avoidance.

Cant have everyday people lowering their tax bill by working the system.

Sorry for the rant , just needed to vent!

Comment

I think your post is 'spot on' accurate

Comment

Working...
                    X