• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan charge review - Government response is here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
    so swamped at work well home now. Anyone got a good summary they can post. I am going to log on and not be lazy. Just all hell breaking loose right now
    If you saw the last debate, pretty much a re-run.

Comment

The debate was good and positive in the sense they gave Jesse and the government a good hammering. The finance bill is now key to getting these amendments through. That is what we need to keep an eye on now:

Finance Bill 2019-21 — UK Parliament
      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
        So similar to Cartref but even trickier because pre-December 2010 loans are no longer within scope of the loan charge?
        Zeeman & Anor v Revenue And Customs [2020] EWHC 794 (Admin) (03 April 2020)

For the reasons set out in this judgment, I consider that this legislation is not incompatible with Mr Zeeman and Mr Murphy's human rights even if A1P1 is engaged, and that these claims for judicial review should therefore be dismissed.

Comment

From the quick scan that I have read. Robert Venables QC did not construct any kind of solid, evidenced case. Surely regardless of views, he should have at least been able to counter some of the more obvious HMRC arguments.

Comment

99. I therefore agree with Cockerill J's conclusions in Cartref that this legislation is not "manifestly without reasonable foundation" but, on the contrary, it falls squarely within the margin of appreciation afforded to the State under the second paragraph of A1P1.
            Can't believe people are still pursuing this HRA bollox. Huitson, 8 years ago, should have put paid to that.

When it comes to tax avoidance, for "margin" read chasm.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

another challenge announced today. The examples do not make great reading for HMRC

Seeking a Judicial Review of the Loan Charge

anyone got an opinion

Comment

What did HMRC do with the student loan payments?

HMRC have charged me for student loans in my settlement figures, and i've also paid APNs but my student loan balance remains unchanged. I want to clear my student loan balance but how can i get that money back from HMRC!?

Comment

Originally posted by TakenAlongForaRide View Post
                  HMRC have charged me for student loans in my settlement figures, and i've also paid APNs but my student loan balance remains unchanged. I want to clear my student loan balance but how can i get that money back from HMRC!?
                  Ask them?
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Submission to Loan Charge APPG re Lords Economic Affairs inquiry in to Promoters

Not sure if this from Etctax is of interest to anybody..

Submission to Loan Charge APPG re Lords Economic Affairs inquiry in to Promoters - ETC Tax

Comment

Do I have to submit 2018-19 SATR? (no open years, no loan after 2010)

Hello,

I left UK in 2017.

I have had loans prior to 9th December 2010.

I don't have any protected / open years or enquiries.

I filed 2018-19 SATR last year after loan charge changes were made after the election. I thought that I was off the hook and didn't declare anything loan charge related in that return.

This month, I am in the process of filing 2019-20 SATR (just for rental income).

However, HMRC still sent me a letter (received today) about submitting 2018-19 SATR.

Do I have to submit (actually, re-submit) 2018-19 SATR even if I have no protected / open years or enquiries and all my loans were before 9th December 2010?

Please help.

Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                      X