• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan charge review - Government response is here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

webberg, you are not impartial.

Your business relies on people fighting the underlying tax dispute and/or challenging the LC.

Many people don't want to spend a good portion of their life fighting HMRC. What do you reckon, another 5 years, 10 years? (The NTRT lot have been fighting for coming up 12 years with no end in sight!!!)

HMRC's inactivity over the years probably led many loan scheme users to believe that the dispute might just go away.

So, I stand by what I said. For many (who didn't want to fight), the LC forced their hand.
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 23 December 2019, 12:20.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

ps. I note BG will have been going 5 years in April.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...big-group.html

That may require 5 years.
      I'm making a very serious point here. You only get one life. How much of it do people want to spend fighting HMRC?
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Fair enough.

Yes we said 5 years.

Bear in mind that we took a position that was absent any input from matters such as the loan charge which has been a massive distraction and has allowed HMRC to essentially shut down all forward progress on enquiries and litigation.

Even now we are are the brink of litigation later than we hoped.

The fall out from the loan charge review will also create another period of delay but we will be in FTT soon.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          ps. I note BG will have been going 5 years in April.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...big-group.html

I'm making a very serious point here. You only get one life. How much of it do people want to spend fighting HMRC?
          This is the nub of the matter. I have lost a lot of my life due to severe mental health issues. This LC came just as I was well on the mend. If a tax dispute takes any longer than 2 years to sort then, IMO, it is time to move on. That is how the system should be designed to work. It would then focus minds on what is important and what is not.

I have been right on the edge of suicide due to this because there is no point spending what little remains of my life locked in worry and disputes with a tax authority.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            Fair enough.

Yes we said 5 years.

Bear in mind that we took a position that was absent any input from matters such as the loan charge which has been a massive distraction and has allowed HMRC to essentially shut down all forward progress on enquiries and litigation.

Even now we are are the brink of litigation later than we hoped.

The fall out from the loan charge review will also create another period of delay but we will be in FTT soon.
            Understood, and I wasn't singling out BG by the way. Just pointing out the sad reality that fighting HMRC is a very long and protracted business.

If you haven't found them dragging their heels yet, you've got that "joy" to come.

Comment

Understood, and I wasn't singling out BG by the way. Just pointing out the sad reality that fighting HMRC is a very long and protracted business.

If you haven't found them dragging their heels yet, you've got that "joy" to come.
              Wasn't Matt Hall on the brink of litigation for 3 years or something as HMRC used flip-flop tactics to delay matters. And that was just to get to the opening salvo.

Comment

This. Emphatically!

If you have closed pre-2010 years, breath a sigh of relief and get on with your life.

If you have pre-2010 open years, just be glad that the LC no longer applies, and cross any future bridge as and when.

I'm the latter of those two scenarios. So as I see it I have, in its current guise at least, avoided the loan charge (which I view as a penalty) but as I received something like an APN where HMRC summarised what they felt I owed the tax liability remains.

Amusingly, not being the most organised person, I felt a quick call to HRMC to ask them to confirm if they have on file any open tax years for myself, they essentially said they couldn't see one and regardless, it's all pre-2010 so no charge or tax would apply. Naturally, I'm not stupid and am ignoring that guidance but it is somewhat worrying that they're misadvising their "customers"!

Comment

Originally posted by VillageIdiotDan View Post
                  I'm the latter of those two scenarios. So as I see it I have, in its current guise at least, avoided the loan charge (which I view as a penalty) but as I received something like an APN where HMRC summarised what they felt I owed the tax liability remains.

Amusingly, not being the most organised person, I felt a quick call to HRMC to ask them to confirm if they have on file any open tax years for myself, they essentially said they couldn't see one and regardless, it's all pre-2010 so no charge or tax would apply. Naturally, I'm not stupid and am ignoring that guidance but it is somewhat worrying that they're misadvising their "customers"!
                  Go and get advice.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
                    This is the nub of the matter. I have lost a lot of my life due to severe mental health issues. This LC came just as I was well on the mend. If a tax dispute takes any longer than 2 years to sort then, IMO, it is time to move on. That is how the system should be designed to work. It would then focus minds on what is important and what is not.

I have been right on the edge of suicide due to this because there is no point spending what little remains of my life locked in worry and disputes with a tax authority.
                    I feel for you. In Feb it will be 12 years for me. No end in sight. Thanks for all your efforts. If I can help, just let me know.

webberg, you are not impartial.
                    I have agreed with all your other posts on the thread until this one.

Whether or not we agree or disagree, Graham has done huge amounts for people. Personally and as an adviser.

IMO Graham and his ilk are the saviours here. HMRC are the guilty ones, and we should focus all our firepower on them.

Which oddly, is why I have disagreed with Graham on this issue! I do not feel Amyas goes nearly far enough.

DC's post above has reminded me. I have lost a great deal. And more will be lost. The only thing that would satify me is 7 life sentences for HMRC officials/government ministers who have lied. And the only chance of getting anywhere nearly that is us all sticking together.

Graham - please keep up the good work. It is appreciated by the vast majority.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                      Go and get advice.
                      You've advised me to do this previously and I ignored you. I shouldn't have and appreciate your continued diligence. Will do.

Comment

Working...
                      X