• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan charge review - Government response is here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Webberg

I settled in 2017 and have sent endless emails for validation of settlement, HMRC haven't once responded. I even tried calling and they stated that there are no open claims against me.

Completely confused

Comment

Originally posted by Bobo View Post
      Thanks Webberg

I settled in 2017 and have sent endless emails for validation of settlement, HMRC haven't once responded. I even tried calling and they stated that there are no open claims against me.

Completely confused
      Maybe I'm not as cautious (paranoid? ) as webberg but I reckon you'd be ok to get your loans written off.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Just because i'm paranoid does not mean that they're not out to get me (or you)
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Thanks Webberg

I'm going to follow up with HMRC, again ([email protected]) and ask for validation on your suggestion.

Are you able to assist in the wording/question that would allow me to get a response on whether I would get taxed twice if I validate that the load is repaid?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobo View Post
            Thanks Webberg

I'm going to follow up with HMRC, again ([email protected]) and ask for validation on your suggestion.

Are you able to assist in the wording/question that would allow me to get a response on whether I would get taxed twice if I validate that the load is repaid?
            I think we're still trying to find a time to talk?
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Do I have to pay this? Can I fight it?

Hi,

Apologies if this is a recurring theme, but I am new to this forum and really need advice please.

I have been receiving letters from HMRC since 2016, which my accountant has tried to deal with by asking then exactly what they want and how much they think I owe them. They went quiet on me for nearly 12 months, then out of the blue on Friday I received a letter from HMRC demanding a substantial sum from me by 5th April! How can they do this?!! Of course I can appeal and get a bit more time, but I don't have the money they think I owe, and I certainly can't get it within 30 days. Like many people, I entered into this agreement in good faith, trusting my 'employer' to pay the relevant taxes. How can I be charged for their error? And retrospectively!

Are people taking their cases to court?
              Are people winning their cases?

My accountant is really helpful, but I really think I need a tax lawyer. If I can fight it, I will. Advice needed please.
              Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Funsize50 View Post
                Hi,

Apologies if this is a recurring theme, but I am new to this forum and really need advice please.

I have been receiving letters from HMRC since 2016, which my accountant has tried to deal with by asking then exactly what they want and how much they think I owe them. They went quiet on me for nearly 12 months, then out of the blue on Friday I received a letter from HMRC demanding a substantial sum from me by 5th April! How can they do this?!! Of course I can appeal and get a bit more time, but I don't have the money they think I owe, and I certainly can't get it within 30 days. Like many people, I entered into this agreement in good faith, trusting my 'employer' to pay the relevant taxes. How can I be charged for their error? And retrospectively!

Are people taking their cases to court?
                Are people winning their cases?

My accountant is really helpful, but I really think I need a tax lawyer. If I can fight it, I will. Advice needed please.
                Thank you.
                Join LCAG

Join Big Group (WTT)

Comment

Well funsize, you've come to the right place!!

Don't post too much detail on here as HMRC plus the scumbags who operated whichever scheme you used all read these pages. Also, beware of trusting anonymous advice gained on the internet - including this.

Have a play around with the search facility and try to find your scheme. Most schemes have their own threads so you can get opinion from other users.

You mentioned an accountant. Is he/she independent or are they connected to the scheme? If they're connected or recommended you the scheme, a second opinion may be worthwhile but make sure its independent.

Several accountants are regulars on these pages. Probably the most prolific is Graham Webber from a firm called WTT. he posts as webberg and you will see him and his firm WTT mentioned regularly. They operate something called "big group" which is a big group who share the cost of representation. Just google WTT and you'll see their contact details. There are of course others. The guys posting on here are interested and experienced in helping scheme users and may give a different view to your own accountant. Remember though that advice costs money.

LCAG is the Loan Charge Action Group. Google and ye shall find.

Comment

Originally posted by piebaps View Post
                    Well funsize, you've come to the right place!!

Don't post too much detail on here as HMRC plus the scumbags who operated whichever scheme you used all read these pages. Also, beware of trusting anonymous advice gained on the internet - including this.

Have a play around with the search facility and try to find your scheme. Most schemes have their own threads so you can get opinion from other users.

You mentioned an accountant. Is he/she independent or are they connected to the scheme? If they're connected or recommended you the scheme, a second opinion may be worthwhile but make sure its independent.

Several accountants are regulars on these pages. Probably the most prolific is Graham Webber from a firm called WTT. he posts as webberg and you will see him and his firm WTT mentioned regularly. They operate something called "big group" which is a big group who share the cost of representation. Just google WTT and you'll see their contact details. There are of course others. The guys posting on here are interested and experienced in helping scheme users and may give a different view to your own accountant. Remember though that advice costs money.

LCAG is the Loan Charge Action Group. Google and ye shall find.
                    LC 2019 Debate showing right now on BBC Parliament

Comment

Originally posted by Iter View Post
                      LC 2019 Debate showing right now on BBC Parliament
                      so swamped at work well home now. Anyone got a good summary they can post. I am going to log on and not be lazy. Just all hell breaking loose right now

Comment

Working...
                      X